Forum

Development and Internet connexion

27 July 2018 23:31
Hello all.
Your B4W is a very smart application.

I am in holidays and I have many difficuties with Internet access.
Options of Project Manager (i.e. "dev:", re-export scenes etc.) are not working.
My question: is Internet necessary for development?
Thanks for your help
30 July 2018 21:17
I noticed that too. "Fast Preview" does not work either when you have no internet connection. It hangs up after saying "Compiling…"

It's a bit annoying but it doesn't bother me much because I created a webserver on my computer and copied the B4W installation to the HTML folder of the server. I'm using XAMPP. It's extra simple for idiots like me who are no experts in server-related stuff.

This means I can develop and run a scene locally on my computer just by simply clicking "Export->B4W" in Blender, and then calling up (or refreshing) the project's HTML file in the browser. The best thing is, the project will appear EXACTLY as it would appear on a remote webpage, yet I don't need an internet connection, I don't need "Fast Preview", I don't need "Compile", "Build", or the B4W Project Manager at all.

Now I have a very fast, very convenient workflow, so maybe that's something for you too.

NOTE/DISCLAIMER: If you install a software like XAMPP, it basically means you're running a server on your computer which can pose a security risk. Follow the instructions to properly secure the server, or go offline while you're running the localhost.
31 July 2018 11:58
Hello all.
Your B4W is a very smart application.

I am in holidays and I have many difficuties with Internet access.
Options of Project Manager (i.e. "dev:", re-export scenes etc.) are not working.
My question: is Internet necessary for development?
Thanks for your help

This is very strange behavior. We will check this.
Blend4Web doesn't require internet connection during development at all.
Alexander (Blend4Web Team)
twitter
01 August 2018 22:57
Thanks for your reply.
More info:
1/ After a downgrade to SDK 17_12_0, Internet connexion is no more necessary. But back to SDK 18_05_0, no way…
2/ In Blender 2.79b "Fast Preview" does not works (as @Blend4Life wrote) with releases 17_12_0 and 18_05_0 without Internet connexion.
I use W10 1803 on a laptop.
Have a good day.
06 August 2018 21:01
SDK 17_12_0, Internet connexion is no more necessary. But back to SDK 18_05_0
True, only in the new version.

And here is some more info, maybe it helps:

Do the Fast Preview with internet connection -> it compiles and puts out the result in a browser window. So far, so good. Now, if you leave that browser window open, cut the internet connection and then press Fast Preview again, the Fast Preview does indeed work in that window.

(But it doesn't if it has to open a new window while connection is cut.)

Please register or log in to leave a reply.