Forum

parallax incompatible with cycles nodes

06 September 2018 10:58
the b4w parallax node does not work with cycles materials or cycles texture nodes.
as soon as the material has a parallax node and a cycles material, it turns pink in the viewport.

would be nice if this was supported!
10 September 2018 23:04
Actually, I found that it's possible to combine the parallax effect with Cycles Nodes - you just plug the Material Node's color output into a diffuse shader's color input.

Now you can even plug a second normal texture with different mapping into the diffuse shader, which is really nice.

Example 1 - the "standard" setup:

Example 2 - Cycles setup with second normal map ("fine") to add a grainy surface effect:

I attached the node setups for the examples.

P.S.: You need to shine a good light at the object to make the parallax come out. I used a Sun Lamp with 1.5 power. Without a lamp, I found the effect to be bland and disappointing.
11 September 2018 13:10
thats a nice find! you shoudl use the mapped textures for the color channel though or you wont see the parallax
11 September 2018 18:09
Reply to post of user tp_up
you shoudl use the mapped textures for the color channel though or you wont see the parallax
I'm getting the same result regardless of how that input is connected.
11 September 2018 18:59
this is the depth effect parallax mapping is aiming for, maybe you need to adjust your scale / lod to make it work in your view

after some more trying it seems like only the cycles textures nodes are the thing breaking the shader

unfortunately, with the steps / layers beeing this visible, we wont be using it
11 September 2018 19:31
maybe you need to adjust your scale / lod to make it work in your view
What do you mean, "make it work"? It is working already. Here's what it looks like when I disconnect the parallax:

The changed tree you suggested (Example 3) gives the same result as the tree in Example 2, at least on my computer.
12 September 2018 10:08
ive attached what id expect from a brick texture in parallax. the texture offset should create a 3d effect on the bricks the mselves. this makes the grey inbetween the bricks invisible at an angle due to coverage

for this to work in b4w, your normal texture needs a heightmap in the alpha (transparency) channel of the texture
12 September 2018 19:34
Now I see what you mean! You were right. In fact, all involved textures (the additional normal map as well!) must get their Vector input from the Parallax node's UV output, otherwise they will "hover" flat over the "grooved areas" and you'll only get a half-assed effect. Wow, this was hard to see with the texture I used. I had to switch to the B4W team's parallax example texture to get it.

I will correct the node setups in my above post accordingly. Thank you!

As for using Cycles textures, it does not seem to work with the core setup, but the additional maps I mentioned which you can add can be Cycles textures. You can plug the Parallax node's UV output right into a Cycles texture's Vector input, or put a mapping node in between. The normal map will follow the grooves nicely. Look:

16 September 2018 00:15
unfortunately, with the steps / layers beeing this visible, we wont be using it
I agree with this. If I want the effect to look decent, I have to tune it down so much that it is almost invisible, therefore redundant. I'll try to optimize my normal maps instead.

Also, the effect I mentioned about mixing in further normal maps can of course be achieved similarly by mixing the normal map textures in the first place (e.g. with Crazybump -> Normal Mixer etc.). The Cycles Diffuse Shader still gives an inferior performance compared to B.I. material in my opinion, so I won't be using it for now and don't recommend this method. (It also increases the number of nodes and textures, thus decreases performance.) It's only good for quick testing how an additional normal map would look, how much influence etc.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.