Blog

Blend4Web 16.11 Released

2016-11-30

We are glad to present a new release of Blend4Web, a complete open source solution for creating interactive 3D web experiences. The most prominent features of this release are: support for material nodes of the Cycles non-real-time renderer, new API module for facilitating first-person controls, the upgraded Petigor's Quest with source files and the text editor introduced in the Project Manager.

Embracing Cycles

Cycles, a high-quality path-tracing renderer available in Blender, is widely used by Blender artists for creating still images and videos. Materials for Cycles are constructed using a separate set of nodes, which are very different from GLSL nodes used to make real-time materials for the Blender viewport and Blend4Web. Nevertheless, taking into account the huge amount of already existing Cycles content and persistent requests from the community wishing to share their models on the Web, we have decided to initiate work on supporting Cycles materials in Blend4Web.

Comparing output of Cycles and Blend4Web #1.

Due to inevitable performance constraints inherent to real-time renderers, it is only possible to implement approximate algorithms to mimic Cycles materials in WebGL. We started with the most vital and widely employed nodes, such as Material Output, BSDF Diffuse, BSDF Glossy and others, checking real models uploaded by the Blender community to BlendSwap (a popular collection of free .blend files, thanks Albin and gregzaal for the models). For convenience, the Fast Preview button has been added to the Cycles render profile so that you can export your models without the need to switch to Blend4Web.

Comparing output of Cycles and Blend4Web #2.

The exclusive list of supported nodes, sockets and options made available for this release can be seen here. We welcome you feedback and suggestions regarding further development of this exciting feature!

Petigor's Quest

Today we are releasing what can be called a continuation of Petigor's adventures - a little browser point-and-click game first introduced a month ago at Blender Conference 2016 held in Amsterdam. Since then we have added some new possibilities for the character, improved the story line and supplemented the game with audio and more FX.

For those who are inexperienced in cracking puzzles, there is a help button with a question mark on it...

The rules are somewhat simple: try to escape the troll's prison with the help of the items available, without getting caught!

That is a really big guy... Good he's sleeping.

Contrary to its prequel, this quest has been authored with almost no programmer efforts: here lies the power of the logic editor. You are welcome to study the source files which are present in both CE and PRO Blend4Web SDK distributions. Join the quest now!

First Person Controls

Good news for developers of applications with first person view - games and beyond. We have introduced the module called fps.js which makes creating such controls much easier. Furthermore, by using this module you can ensure consistent user experience across desktop and mobile platforms, including support for gamepads, touchscreens and even VR devices.

Creating shooters made easier.

Check out the new controls in the reworked Jungle Outpost aka Kick the Bucket, to which a rifle has been added as a bonus (thanks zehmx for the model!).

Project Manager

You can now conveniently edit source files of your apps (HTML, CSS, JavaScript and project configs) with the embedded text editor right in the PM. Although this editor is minimalistic, it is web-friendly, supports line numbering and syntax highlighting and correctly works with Unicode on different systems such as Windows. It is well suited to quickly edit your projects without the need to search through the SDK hierarchy, even remotely.

Editing text files in the PM.

Other Features

The pathfinding algorithm introduced in the previous release, has been upgraded to support volumetric navigation meshes. Also, navmeshes are now prepared faster which results in faster loading.

Important usability improvement: you no longer need to explicitly specify the path to the SDK folder, as it is now determined automatically through the installation procedure.

The API method for creating screenshots has been made more robust so that it can now generate images of any size (particularly, overcoming the 2MB restriction of Chromium-based browsers). The issue has been discovered thanks to the winner of the Retro Car contest whose amazing work included this functionality.

Screenshot button in the Impala contest entry.

The list of steps, required to make both the procedural sky and dynamic water work, is now shorter. The procedural sky will be displayed even if there is no light source of Sun type in your scene, while the water waves will appear even if your forgot to add the wind source.

In Closing

As usual, you can find the source files of the examples presented in this article inside the SDK. For the complete list of changes and bugfixes see the release notes. In case you missed the latest, take a moment and check out the most recent posts in our blog for new tutorials, results of the Retro Car contest and the newest featured Blend4Web-powered projects.

Comments
01 dec. 2016 16:06
Wow! That's really great that we will be able to use Blender Cycles nodes with B4W. Is your goal to be able to do PBR textures via node trees like "PBR Uber-Shader" or similar?

I'm discovering B4W and I think PBR textures would make the learning curve easier. I think it's a awesome software, keep up the great work!

Cheers!
01 dec. 2016 18:04
Wow! That's really great that we will be able to use Blender Cycles nodes with B4W. Is your goal to be able to do PBR textures via node trees like "PBR Uber-Shader" or similar?

I'm discovering B4W and I think PBR textures would make the learning curve easier. I think it's a awesome software, keep up the great work!

Cheers!
Hello and welcome to our forum!

As far as I can see most of "PBR Uber-Shaders" (like that https://jtheninja.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/simple-pbr-v5/ are node groups which somehow mix Cycles shader nodes to make user's life easier and materials tweaking closer to other renders (including real-time ones like Unreal, Unity).
Our aim is to make cycles nodes look in b4w as similar to those rendered in Blender as possible (respecting real-time limitations). So that all flexibility of Cycles materials (including ubers/supers/mega pbrs) will be available for users.
01 dec. 2016 19:20
Thank you Konstantin!

I come from Unreal Engine and VR. I'm interested in having a light-weight engine running on a browser. B4W looks like it's what I need. Great to know PBR (Cycles) should work in the future. I was impressed to find a parallax occlusion mapping on such a Javascript engine. You guys rock! ;-)
09 dec. 2016 03:44
What are they feeding you guys there!!! Every time i come to the site my mind is blown! Well done you guys.
23 mar. 2023 11:26
Wow, it's great to hear about the latest release of Blend4Web! The support for material nodes of the Cycles non-real-time renderer and the new API module for first-person controls seem like fantastic additions to an already impressive open source solution. The upgraded Petigor's Quest with source files and the text editor in the Project Manager also sound like great features that will make the creation of interactive 3D web experiences even more seamless. Overall, this release seems like a major step forward for Blend4Web, and I'm excited to see what kind of incredible web experiences creators will be able to build with it.
23 mar. 2023 11:27
Wow, it's great to hear about the latest release of Blend4Web! The support for material nodes of the Cycles non-real-time renderer and the new API module for first-person controls seem like fantastic additions to an already impressive open source solution. The upgraded Petigor's Quest with source files and the text editor in the Project Manager also sound like great features that will make the creation of interactive 3D web experiences even more seamless. Overall, this release seems like a major step forward for Blend4Web, and I'm excited to see what kind of incredible web experiences creators will be able to build with it.
24 mar. 2023 05:22
USA|UK|CANADA Fresh Fullz Provider

Fresh spammed, never been sold
High Credit Scores Pros (700+ scores)

FULLZ/Pros Format
Full name|SSN|DOB|DL|Address|City|State|Zip|Contact|Email|Employee History|Bank Details
Genuine Fullz with Valid Info

Pricing :
SSN+DOB = 1$ each
SSN+DOB+DL = 3$ each
Canada|UK Fullz = 2$ each
(Minimum 50 order)

High CS Pros = 5$ each (Min order 20)
CC Fullz with CVV = 8$ for each (Min order 10)
Dumps Track 101 & 202 Pin & Without Pin codes 80$ each
Business EIN Fullz 15$ each

TOOLS & TUTS

SMTP's|RDP's|C-panels|SHELLS|Web-mailers|VPN's|Proxies
Office365 Logins & Email Leads Bulk
Hac-king tools with tutorials & E-books updated
Spamming complete package with all stuff
BTC Cracker|BTC Flasher|BTC Transfer
Carding Methods|Tools|Video Tutorials|Working Loan Methods

All stuff will be provide in mins
Legit stuff & verified
Genuine working tools with updated tutorials
24/7 Available

Telegram = @leadsupplier , @killhacks
ICQ = 752822040
Whats App = +92 317 272 1122
Skype|WickrMe = @peeterhacks
12 aug. 2023 15:25
The decision to adopt Cycles content is an important step, as it opens up opportunities for artists and creators already familiar with Cycles to easily share their work online. This move could lead to more diverse 3D content on the web, which is nothing short of exciting. It's still fun to sit on https://betwinner.global/login/ and spend some free time, I suggest we get knocked up there together. Overall, this release appears to be a significant step forward in making Blend4Web an even more comprehensive and versatile solution for interactive 3D broadcasting. It will be interesting to see how these new features and enhancements impact the world of online 3D content creation and user engagement.
13 aug. 2023 19:33
I like game
11 sep. 2023 15:47
Blend4Web 16.11! The first-person perspective (1st POV) feature is a game-changer for immersive experiences. It allows users to step into virtual worlds like never before. If you're looking to create stunning 1st POV experiences, you should definitely check out Blend4Web 16.11. And for those who need assistance with content creation or documentation, services like https://premieressaywriting.com/ can be invaluable. This release is a testament to the constant innovation in the world of 3D web development. I can already imagine the incredible potential for industries like gaming and virtual tours.
Please register or log in to leave a reply.