Forum

animation with build modifier

28 November 2016 10:41 #14164
Hi Mikhail,

I noticed that there is still one problem with the solution you gave me last week. The scene I have is pretty complex with the pipes running here and there. Because of that, they tend to overlap from nearly every possible camera angle, and when they do, the pipe in the front may look like it's actually running behind the one in the background.

I guess there is no other solution to this than to select the camera angle for each animation very carefully so that the pipes included in the animation wouldn't overlap each other too much. In your dairy animation that wasn't really a problem as the pipes weren't crisscrossing that much, and the camera was a bit further away.

Tricky, eh?

Cheers, Harri
28 November 2016 12:04 #14169
I noticed that there is still one problem with the solution you gave me last week. The scene I have is pretty complex with the pipes running here and there. Because of that, they tend to overlap from nearly every possible camera angle, and when they do, the pipe in the front may look like it's actually running behind the one in the background.
Yes, it's a problem if you have a lot of objects with transparency. Maybe you can use another method? For example fill in with a color opaque pipe? Here's I've prepeared another examle for you, maybe it can help.
pipe_animation.blend
Blend4web and that kind of thing.
28 November 2016 14:02 #14175
Hi Mikhail,

You certainly seem to have new ideas all the time! Great!

This model of yours works well if you have just simple pipes that run from A to B. In my model the pipes branch out to different directions (see the screen capture I attached earlier) and because of that the material morphing does not follow the pipelines anymore. So basically I have to make the original example work somehow, probably just with carefully selected camera angles.

One possibility might be to change the usual pipe material to a transparent one for just the duration of the animation and then back to the original one. Then all the other objects in the backgroud would still have the normal, metal materials (when not subject to an animation) and transparency would affect only those pipes needed in the animation. This requires pretty accurate timing though, but I think it's do-able.

I really need to think about this. I'm shortly running out of time with this project (I'm just about to finish my studies and this is my last project…) so I have to make the decision in one direction or the other.

EDIT: I actually came up with one more solution: I draw the animated "water" around the pipeline, not inside of it. Just by making it a bit larger than the pipe itself I get rid of all the ridiculous transparency issues. I hope.

Cheers, Harri
28 November 2016 15:15 #14176
DIT: I actually came up with one more solution: I draw the animated "water" around the pipeline, not inside of it. Just by making it a bit larger than the pipe itself I get rid of all the ridiculous transparency issues. I hope.
It's a good solution if it's fit your needs. I've also prepeared an example for you with changing material on pipes from opaque to transparent using logic node system. It's quite complex, but may be you can use it in some parts. I specifically colored transparent and opaque material in different colors to see that they are changed, but you can make them similar.
pipe_animation.blend
28 November 2016 15:42 #14182
Thanks again, the node setup for the logic editor didn't actually look too complex once I got the idea. That would be perfect if my model were simpler. At the moment the scene takes nearly 30 seconds to load with fast connection which, I think, is quite a long time to wait. If I need to duplicate some of the more complex objects in the scene it will slow down the loading even more. But I will see what can be done.

So far I done most of the stuff in the code level (I have a programming background..) so the logic editor could make it a whole lot easier and quicker to get the results. And if I got it right, you can actually run the logic editor animations from the code level the same way as any other animation?

Cheers, Harri
28 November 2016 16:07 #14186
Thanks again, the node setup for the logic editor didn't actually look too complex once I got the idea. That would be perfect if my model were simpler. At the moment the scene takes nearly 30 seconds to load with fast connection which, I think, is quite a long time to wait. If I need to duplicate some of the more complex objects in the scene it will slow down the loading even more. But I will see what can be done.
You can use Inheirt Material node instead of just hiding and revealing two objects with different materails to save weight.

So far I done most of the stuff in the code level (I have a programming background..) so the logic editor could make it a whole lot easier and quicker to get the results. And if I got it right, you can actually run the logic editor animations from the code level the same way as any other animation?
You can run logic tree using script if you set Run From Script on entry point or you just can play animation with script using blend4web api function and avoid logic nodes at all. Logic nodes made for artist who don't know how to program.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.