Forum

normal map without UV unwrapping

06 March 2015 12:37
Hi,
I would like to use a normal map for generic materials (like paint, or fabric) without having to UV unwrap my whole models (which can be quite complicated…). This is possible for usual renders (with Cycles or BInternal) using the generated texture space, with a well defined texture space, ie not automatic, with controlled dimensions.
But I cannot figure out how to use this with WebGL materials… Do you know if it's possible? How to do this?
Also it seems possible to use the "Generated" coordinates for textures with "standard" materials, but when using the node system, there is no more "Generated" output to the Geometry node! Is it possible to use the Generated texture coordinates in the node system??
Thanks for your help!

David
David Duperron
STAT Marine - www.stat-marine.com
06 March 2015 14:38
Hi,
if your object is static, I recommend using Global coordinates Right now "Nodes + Stack material textures" is not supported, but we're thinking about implementing this functionality
06 March 2015 16:21
Mmm… I have some moving parts that should use these materials…
I also made a few tests, but I get a nice pink material everytime I try to use the "Global" coordinates…. It is also said in the documentation that only UV or generated coordinates are supported now… Is it the case?
I will wait for future improvements then, but this would be really great! Thanks anyway
David Duperron
06 March 2015 17:15
Hmm, it works for me.. What is your addon version?

GlobalUFO.blend
GlobalUFO.html
06 March 2015 17:47
it seems to work with the nodes but not with the standard material editor… see attached files…
David Duperron
06 March 2015 18:25
Yeah, this isn't supported yet

We're working with Blender team - there are some new geometry outputs and helpful vector transforms. Well, right now Blender team didn't accept our proposal but we're working on it and hoping that they will actually add this functionality. I believe those things will help to solve ma-any mapping problems

And if you're going to use stack (standard) materials, so here can help Generated mapping:

GlobalUFO.blend
GlobalUFO.html

Please register or log in to leave a reply.