Release Cycle

09 March 2018 03:52
Just a suggestion, why not release blend4web along side blenders release dates. Not only would it be convenient when managing multiple versions of blender / blend4web in day to day workflow, but it will also allow a better wireframe for the blend4web development for when to release a specific feature. For instance now that eevee is coming up for 2.8, blend4web can prepare its next release with specific features related to the eevee release, and a user would only have to download one of each. The user will also be able to keep track of updating blend4web every new blender release. I would prefer blend4web packaged as a disabled by default addon in blender, and when enabled allow to download the sdk for the current blender. I dunno, just a suggestion. To be honest I visit blend4web every 2-3 months now to see updates rather then once a week when you had frequent releases and the direction of blend4web seems to aim for more turntable products and configurators as a solution rather then focusing on implementing 3d to all aspects of the web which is one of the reasons I was very enthusiastic about blend4web. Multiple projects I have been proposed for work were not a possibility due to the nature of blend4web and its current limitations. Sorry for the long letter, thanks for being great guys keep up the good work and I hope my release cycle suggestion may be relevant to your situation developing.
16 March 2018 12:51
Just a suggestion, why not release blend4web along side blenders release dates. Not only would it be convenient when managing multiple versions of blender / blend4web in day to day workflow, but it will also allow a better wireframe for the blend4web development for when to release a specific feature.

As you've already said, Blend4Web has limitations. And some of them we must resolve as fast as possible to keep our customers happy . Moreover, the more features release has the more testing is required. The release interval should not be too large and too small. Thus we decided to abandon the fixed dates. And as you know, Blend4Web has some features which have nothing to do with Blender features. And in this case it would be weird to get attached to blender's release dates, although for Eeevee it would justified.

I would prefer blend4web packaged as a disabled by default addon in blender, and when enabled allow to download the sdk for the current blender. I dunno, just a suggestion.
I suppose there could be legal difficulties. I will raise this issue for discussion.

To be honest I visit blend4web every 2-3 months now to see updates rather then once a week when you had frequent releases and the direction of blend4web seems to aim for more turntable products and configurators as a solution rather then focusing on implementing 3d to all aspects of the web which is one of the reasons I was very enthusiastic about blend4web.
There are great plans not only about configurators. Configurators just the type of apps which is currently the most in demand. Improvements will not be limited by this.

Multiple projects I have been proposed for work were not a possibility due to the nature of blend4web and its current limitations.
Well, you can show us your view on any limitations. Any response can improve the engine. Maybe you know something what we've missed .
Alexander (Blend4Web Team)
twitter
12 April 2018 11:34
Is there any news with regards to when the next release will happen? In the Changes in Blend4Web Release Cycle post it was mentioned that the first 2018 release would be in March.
12 April 2018 11:46
It is delayed until we finalize the support for refraction in Principled BSDF node and finish dynamic rebuild of render graph.
I thing we can make the developer preview at the end of this month.
twitter
13 April 2018 12:20
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the update. It's appreciated.

Brett
17 April 2018 02:20
@Alexander
"Well, you can show us your view on any limitations. Any response can improve the engine. "

More then likely the limitation is due to webgl or the canvas element. I would argue the main aspect of revolutionizing the web with 3d is being able to cooperate with the dom. Insert iframes, forms, ect within the 3d canvas. Theres too many engines doing the same thing, just found another called "verge 3d" so I decided to see if there was a response here and im sitting here wondering if anyones going to even be able to break into the dom (doubtful). Perhaps with web assembly something might be possible where it was not before. Anway you guys are great, your work is appreciated by the community.
11 May 2018 21:01
Hi Blend4Web team,

Could you please let us know when we can expect a new release? I cannot remember exactly when the last version of B4W was released, but I think we are getting close to five months ago.

Soon, I will need to be making the final decision with regards to the "go/no go" of the development of a large project that will in all likelihood be built using B4W. Nonetheless, the ever increasing periods between releases is beginning to concern me which makes a decision in favor of B4W increasingly more difficult. In addition, Blender 2.8 is looming large on the horizon and having a realistic (and up-to-date) B4W roadmap that takes into account Blender 2.8's removal of Blender Internal, etc would be something that provides confidence with regards to B4W's long-term viability.

Thanks in advance for any information with regards to this matter.

Brett
16 May 2018 19:11
I've been following the team progress for a while, and I must say that they created a really impressive tool. I enjoyed learning and working with Blend4Web a lot.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen it appears that the future of this project is unclear. It looks like most developers quit and/or started new projects, and the current team is seriously undermanned. Also there were no "third" Blend4Web conference this year, which is quite a signal.

I tried the new Verge3D thingy and it looks that the B4W founders learned their lessons. As I can see from their website front page, several prominent clients already got switched (NASA, GE). I think it would be honest for the company representatives to step in and explain what's going on. Sorry if i'm being too harsh, but $990 is not a small amount to be spent on nothing.
16 May 2018 23:07
Reply to post of user schultzs
I've been following the team progress for a while, and I must say that they created a really impressive tool. I enjoyed learning and working with Blend4Web a lot.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen it appears that the future of this project is unclear. It looks like most developers quit and/or started new projects, and the current team is seriously undermanned. Also there were no "third" Blend4Web conference this year, which is quite a signal.

I tried the new Verge3D thingy and it looks that the B4W founders learned their lessons. As I can see from their website front page, several prominent clients already got switched (NASA, GE). I think it would be honest for the company representatives to step in and explain what's going on. Sorry if I'm being too harsh, but $990 is not a small amount to be spent on nothing.

I had the same doubts before we purchased it some weeks ago, maybe we are the last fools in the world, I don't know. As a small studio I recognize $990 it's not a small amount, obviously, we hope to recover the investment with two jobs.
We work with blender and we trust in Blend4web for its long history and its good examples, more in the pro version. Their attention is fast and effective as well. As they said recently, they're working on better and high improvements due to pbr integration and more, maybe focused on the next Blender's 2.8 release.
Verge3D is growing faster so they've already known a lot of the work done before but few commercial examples in their career, no matter how much they say one thing or another about what clients have done.
This is my experience.
cheers!
18 May 2018 13:20
Hello! Sorry for the delayed answer.
Developer Preview will be released in the middle of the next week, and our further plans will be covered in the release article of the final release.
It will be "Blend4Web 18.05", so with the release date we will try to keep within the title.
Many new features and products are planned for the future. Some of them are almost ready.
Sorry, can't comment all messages for ethical reasons. More information will be published with the release or earlier.
Here is some information about B4W and Blender 2.8: https://www.blend4web.com/en/forums/post/21528/
twitter

Please register or log in to leave a reply.