Blog

Project Manager: New Horizons

2017-07-14

There are times when you might think that you are omnipotent. You fancy yourself some sort of ace, a perfect professional who can move mountains at will. Have this happen to you? Well, I think that one lives and learns. You can’t possibly know everything, even within a single area. Today, I am continuing to talk about the Project Manager, hoping that this article will be useful not just for the beginners.

You can find the previous article here.

If You Chase Two Rabbits...

This saying does not hold true in the Project Manager. You can chase as many rabbits as you want and never lose any of them… um, what am I talking about? Well, about projects, of course! And about many, many applications inside one project.

Every project in Blend4Web is a unique entity with settings, parameters and a root directory of its own. However, there is no reason why you shouldn’t work with several independent applications inside a single project.

Why you might need this? The most obvious example would be developing an application for several social networks, each one with its own quirks and requirements. You will probably have to alter HTML, CSS and maybe even JS files. However, your main content (graphics, music, logic etc.) won’t be changing, right? This is only one of the cases where developing several apps in one project would come in handy.

This is not particularly hard to do. When you create a new project in Project Manager, it is already able to work with multiple applications. It’s just the program won’t tell you about it, so not many users are aware of this feature.

If you open a newly created project and view the files in its root folder, you will see something like this:

And in the Project Names/Apps column in the Project Manager you will see this:

Click the dev:my_project.html link, and the Manager will run the application in a new tab in browser. Well, you should already know this much.

But what if you create several HTML files in the project folder? In this case, something like this might happen:

What is interesting here is that the Project Manager considers each HTML file in the project folder an independent application. This is understandable, as it is there where you set CSS, scripts and other stuff.

If you try to build the application using the Build Project command, the Manager will compile each and every HTML file and files associated with them. This allows you to work with multiple variations of a single application inside a project.

Now, let’s take a look on a different task: how to make Project Manager not to take into account specific HTMLs. If you click the config link near the title of the project (see the picture above), the project configuration window will open. Add the HTML files you need to the Apps field. The program will recognize only the file listed in this field and will work with them exclusively. File names in the field should be separated by semicolons.

The Art of Building

Beginners and even experienced users do sometimes run into trouble with deploying applications to a web server. I’ve seen fully operational programs with HTML files containing long lists of engine source files in the SRC folder. I’ve also seen people asking on the forum: “Well, I’ve copied the folder, but it won’t work!”.

So, here are the rules of deploying applications with Project Manager:

 Make sure that JavaScript Obfuscation Level in the project settings is set to Advanced. This will tell compiler to minify the resulting JavaScript code and make it a bit harder to read.

 Execute the convert resources command. The Project Manager will scan all your files (images, sounds, video etc.) and automatically covert them to formats more suitable for web browsers. But do not delete original files! You can rely on the engine to decide which formats are better suited for certain browsers. Aside from converting media data, this command will also create compressed files in the gzip format, which is especially useful if you cannot set up compression on the server side. To use these gzip files, you have to add a specific assets_gzip_available: true directive to the engine initialization code:

var m_app = require("app");

m_app.init({
    canvas_container_id: "canvas",
    callback: init_cb,
    autoresize: true,
    assets_gzip_available: true
});

 Execute the build project command and test how the application works by running build: my_project.html (your own project will, of course, have a different title).

 Finally, execute the deploy project command, download the application archive and unpack it to a proper location in the server.

By following this simple list of actions you can be sure that your project will work on a server without problems and will be compatible with the broadest set of devices.

Comments
19 oct. 2022 06:04
Even if you think that you are a professional, and your profession overlaps with the project manager, you will find out that this is not a match made in heaven and also students can visit https://aussiessayreviews.com/assignmenthelper-com-au-review/ site for quality assignment work. I think we all can learn something from each other. I hope that you find this article entertaining and informative.
09 feb. 2023 12:28
New Horizons is a NASA mission that launched in 2006 and is the first mission to explore the distant dwarf planet Pluto and its moons. The spacecraft has made a number of discoveries since its launch, including the first-ever close-up images of Pluto and its moons, Click here for evidence of a tenuous atmosphere around Pluto and its moons, and the possibility of a vast subsurface ocean beneath Pluto’s icy surface.
17 feb. 2023 12:54
If you're looking for a place to get free software for work or creative, I recommend https://lifesofts.com/ . I always download programs here since they have a fantastic collection of ad blocking software, tools for boosting computer speed, and many more programs for both work and just using your computer.
22 feb. 2023 04:26
If you want to learn more about "hot game," I think you should take a look at this source. It seems like it could be very helpful to you right there. If you are interested in this topic, you can also read some reviews on the Internet gta 5 cheats
24 mar. 2023 08:45
New Horizons is a space exploration mission launched by NASA in 2006. It is the first mission to visit and explore the distant dwarf planet Pluto and its moons. In addition to the flyby of Pluto, New Horizons also flew past four other objects in the Kuiper Belt, a region of icy bodies beyond the orbit of Neptune. New Horizons has revealed amazing new insights into the evolution of our solar system and the makeup of these distant objects. metal roofing
27 jul. 2023 14:06
in the DQFanFeedback survey, customers need a valid receipt from a recent purchase at Dairy Queen. The survey is available online and can be accessed via the official DQFanFeedback website. The survey questions are simple and straightforward, and customers can complete the survey in just a few minutes.
05 aug. 2023 05:14
On the receipt, enter the 10-digit search code at dqfanfeedback.com. Click the Start button once the code has been input. You are now being sent to the official DQ Fan Feedback survey page.

Visit here Dqfanfeedback.com Survey
07 aug. 2023 10:24
If you reside in the United States, it is a given that you have indulged in one of Taco Bell's mouthwatering tacos stuffed with meat and vegetables.
Visit here Tellthebell Survey
22 aug. 2023 10:08
You must have passed the fitness assessments of your coworkers in order to participate in this survey. Before beginning the survey, you must use the restroom in each agreement and setting. Visit here DQFanFeedback.com
25 aug. 2023 10:43
It's true that as a Project Manager, you can't afford to limit yourself to chasing just one "rabbit" or project. Blend4Web's capability to manage multiple applications within a single project is a valuable tool, especially when dealing with diverse requirements, such as creating applications for different social networks. This flexibility streamlines the development process, allowing you to focus on common elements like graphics and logic while tailoring HTML, CSS, and JS files to specific platform nuances. It's a powerful feature often overlooked by users. Just as project managers need versatility, individuals seeking online color by numbers jobs should explore platforms that provide an hourly wage of $15 or $20, ensuring fair compensation for their skills.
Please register or log in to leave a reply.