Forum

Dynamic Online Product Configurator?

26 August 2016 04:18
Hi Everyone,

Can blend4web create a dynamic product configurator that will make the 3D model stretch and grow when user types in new dimensions?

It would be like this one, except instead of choosing dimensions from a list, you type in your dimensions and it will create it to that size.
26 August 2016 11:26
Hi and welcome to the Blend4Web forums!

Can blend4web create a dynamic product configurator that will make the 3D model stretch and grow when user types in new dimensions?

It would be like this one, except instead of choosing dimensions from a list, you type in your dimensions and it will create it to that size.

Yes, Blend4Web offers JavaScript API which you can use to modify the geometry in run-time.
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
28 August 2016 23:16
Thank you Mr. Kovelenov

Does anyone have any examples of product configurator like this? I need something to show to the client, otherwise they will not support my efforts to use this tool. They cannot visualize it, and are trying to use only 2D images.
26 September 2016 07:06
i would use the shoe configuration and the slider example from the snippet code examples… you might have a little more trouble creating the recording of what is on screen for development.

if you figure that one out- let me know i want to use it.
27 September 2016 06:58
Hi Chris,

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I do 3D models and rendering, but I don't work with any code, so maybe that's why.

I couldn't find a shoe configuration example. (I have the most recent Blend4Web CE from September 2016).

I found an interesting looking .blend file in snippets called morph.
C:\blend4web_ce\blender\code_snippets\morphing

Seems like it might do what we're after, but saving to .html did not seem to have the morphing functionality. (please see attached screenshot)

Can anyone share with me how to get the morphing to work on the screen?

Thanks!
Chris
27 September 2016 07:54
yeah i think that you have to do it as a json right now to get that functionality… there are a few tutorials on the site that will help you out.

for the shoe customizer… go to the main blend4web page and where it says -
main - technologies - made with…

click made with…

the 1st entry on the second row is called shoe customizer…

that is the closest thing that i can find that will do what you are looking for…

thing is, i think they are doing it with a whole boat load of models and switching them out.
27 September 2016 11:25
Seems like it might do what we're after, but saving to .html did not seem to have the morphing functionality. (please see attached screenshot)

Can anyone share with me how to get the morphing to work on the screen?
Hi, CSCB! Those sliders in blend-file are just drivers for an artist. They are not supported in B4W, but you don't need them to create a scene with morphing. You should create a set of shape keys on a mesh like it was done in that blend-file and then enable the "Export Shape Keys" option on the "Object->Export Settings" panel.

After that to be able to control the morphing you should create the controls for it. Here we have 2 options: do it via API and coding (like in the morphing demo) or use the Logic Nodes.
If you are not familiar with the Logic Nodes this page will be helpful: logic_editor. Also, there are many examples how to use this functionality in the SDK, just take a look at the files in the ./blender/interactivity/ and ./blender/dev_interactivity/ folders, especially, at the "./blender/dev_interactivity/set_shape_key.blend" file.

There is a special node Apply Shape Key, which can be used in combination with other nodes to create an advanced logic, for example: you click a "button" object and then your main model is changed via shape keys.

I also want to add that the Logic Nodes cannot do all the stuff that's available through the coding, so a big project like the aforementioned shoe customizer may require some code writing.
30 September 2016 06:36
Great. Thank you Ivan.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.