Forum

Normal maps show seams when using the Normal Map node

10 September 2016 18:16
I'm trying out the new Normal Map node with a node material and I discovered that it's causing the seams of my normal map to be visible and look really ugly:

Here is my node setup for the material:

However… if I don't use the nodes method and instead add the normal map in a texture slot everything looks fine:

Here are the texture settings:

Does anyone know why the Normal Map node is not producing the expected results?

Surely it would be nice if I could use both the material node features and normal maps.

(I was thinking that when using a normal map in a texture slot the "Normal Map" and "Geometry" options need to be enabled, but there seems to be no equivalent setting when using the Normal Map node, so maybe this has something to do with it?)

Many thanks in advance!
12 September 2016 12:55
Hello!
I'm trying out the new Normal Map node with a node material and I discovered that it's causing the seams of my normal map to be visible and look really ugly
Does the texture look not correct in the viewport or in blend4web engine?

Please make sure that "Color Space" property of the image is set to "Non-Color"
Blend4Web Team - developer
Twitter
LinkedIn
12 September 2016 18:22
Thank you so much, Konstantin!
It's working perfectly now!

I noticed that my normal map's color became lighter after setting the color space to "Non-Color".
Remembering this will remind me that if the color is a darker purple I'm forgetting a step.

04 October 2016 15:10
<3 <3 thank you Konstantin Khomyakov!!! I've been scratching my head all morning with this!
very good language
22 March 2017 13:03
Hi !
I was having the same issue for a different reason.

I was using the new filmic-blender color management :
https://github.com/sobotka/filmic-blender

But the "non colour data" output was'nt working. I had to install back the legacy colormanagement folder.
Is there any bugFix possible for those using filmic blender ?
22 March 2017 15:53
Reply to post of user rattle-snake
Hi !
I was having the same issue for a different reason.

I was using the new filmic-blender color management :
https://github.com/sobotka/filmic-blender

But the "non colour data" output was'nt working. I had to install back the legacy colormanagement folder.
Is there any bugFix possible for those using filmic blender ?
I've added a check for this value as well. It will work in the next Blend4Web release.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.