Forum

Graphics and banner for a website - license

05 February 2015 20:23
Should I get a commercial license if I export a scene from blender plugin and I use it on a website as a graphic element, a banner or a product showcase? The website is an online newspaper.
05 February 2015 20:50
Hi,

Please read the following topics in our FAQ
https://www.blend4web.com/en/faq/#quest_2_1
https://www.blend4web.com/en/faq/#quest_2_5

Feel free to ask questions if you still have ones!
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
05 February 2015 22:51
Yes I read it before! But sorry, it's not very straightforward, so I make some examples of situations I can imagine.

1: designing 3d animated headers for websites (exactly as the one you have on here) or other layout elements.
2: making 3d clickable adv banners with logos or products.
3: embedding 3d showcases inside blog news articles, about products or similar.

All of this without using the sdk, but simply the blender exporter plugin.
05 February 2015 23:59
1: designing 3d animated headers for websites (exactly as the one you have on here) or other layout elements.
2: making 3d clickable adv banners with logos or products.
3: embedding 3d showcases inside blog news articles, about products or similar.

All of this without using the sdk, but simply the blender exporter plugin.

Please note, that the logo on this website is NOT played back with the "standard" web player, it is a custom programmed application.

So, the simplest way to go is just to use our webplayer, if you don't mind its gray preloader with the B4W logo and the control button in the corner. The deal is that you use Blend4Web for free and in return, you advertise our technology, similar to Java, Flash, Unity and so on.

On the other hand, if you want to be in full control of how your content looks like, you may wish to purchase a commercial license. It makes sense for the webdesign cases you mentioned, such as banners, headers etc.

Finally, if you don't mind sharing your work with others, you may stick to GPL, that is, make your source blend files available to the public.
06 February 2015 01:29
Resuming, using the b4w webplayer and sharing the blend file is the way to keep it free. Right?
The icon it's quite a limitation for webdevelopment; commercial licence it's not so cheap for a webdesign use of b4w.
To the other side it's also true that potentials are very high with your wonderful work. So… what I can say, I'll use and study your framework as much as I can, trying to figure out the commercial investment on your licence.
It would be nice to see an intermediate licence for a webdesign use of your framework; maybe limited to the blender plugin and some basic object interactions… don't know it's just an idea. I think there's difference between using b4w for a complex app development and a simple header clickable logo.

Thanks for your wonderful work I love it.
06 February 2015 08:37
Resuming, using the b4w webplayer and sharing the blend file is the way to keep it free. Right?
I would say, using the b4w webplayer OR sharing the blend file are the ways to keep it free.

commercial licence it's not so cheap for a webdesign use of b4w.
Well, you can ask your customer to purchase a license for you.

It would be nice to see an intermediate licence for a webdesign use of your framework; maybe limited to the blender plugin and some basic object interactions… don't know it's just an idea. I think there's difference between using b4w for a complex app development and a simple header clickable logo.
Our idea was to provide all available functionality under GPL. The dual licensing (GPL and commercial) is a widespread and promising model suitable both for companies and indies.

Thanks for your wonderful work I love it.
Thank you for your efforts and all the feedback!

Please register or log in to leave a reply.