Forum

Quicktime and DNxHD export

11 February 2015 21:48
I am currently rendering a project to PNGs. As of this morning, 10 hours after the rendering started, 200 frames have been completed. Only 6532 more frames to go. It will be awhile yet.

However, once the rendering is completed, I will need to assemble a video with the following specs to submit to SIGGRAPH:

Will the following export settings get me the result?

If not, any info on how to assemble a bunch of PNGs into the required format on Windows 8 would be appreciated, thanks!
12 February 2015 10:56
Will the following export settings get me the result?

Yes, this is what you need.
Also i suggest you to assemble your sequence using ffmpeg like it is done in this example:

VC-3 (aka Avid DNxHD) Encoding
ffmpeg.exe -i <input_file> -vcodec dnxhd -b <bitrate> -an output.mov
Manager and 3D Generalist at Blend4Web
No pain, no gain.
mikhail@blend4web.com
12 February 2015 22:54
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will look into ffmpeg but will not use it this time around, as the submission video needs black space before it and a pop-cue before and after the video, so it would be easier to just lay it all out in the VSE and export as the proper type of MOV right from Blender. I did use similar programs to ffmpeg in the past to create video files for video games, plus assembled movies years ago in DOS with such command line software, so will definitely look into that after this project is done. As it stands, 36 hours into rendering, 785 frames are completed, with 5947 left to be rendered…
13 February 2015 16:00
Ответ на сообщение пользователя trepaning
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will look into ffmpeg but will not use it this time around, as the submission video needs black space before it and a pop-cue before and after the video, so it would be easier to just lay it all out in the VSE and export as the proper type of MOV right from Blender. I did use similar programs to ffmpeg in the past to create video files for video games, plus assembled movies years ago in DOS with such command line software, so will definitely look into that after this project is done. As it stands, 36 hours into rendering, 785 frames are completed, with 5947 left to be rendered…

If I've understood you correctly you have the main video file and a pop-cue video file.
And your video will be assembling for a few days.
For this reason I want to suggest you to try this metod (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate):

ffmpeg -i pop-cue.mkv -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate1.ts
ffmpeg -i strip_1.mkv -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate2.ts
ffmpeg -i strip_2.mkv -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate3.ts
ffmpeg -i strip_3.mkv -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate4.ts
ffmpeg -i "concat:intermediate1.ts|intermediate2.ts|intermediate1.ts|intermediate3.ts|intermediate1.ts|intermediate4.ts|intermediate1.ts" \
-c copy -r 30 -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc output.mkv
ffmpeg -i output.mkv -r 30 -c:v dnxhd -b:v 45M -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov

In Windows it should look like this:

ffmpeg.exe -i pop-cue.mkv -c copy -r 30 -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate1.ts
ffmpeg.exe -i strip_1.mkv -c copy -r 30 -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate2.ts
ffmpeg.exe -i strip_2.mkv -c copy -r 30 -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate3.ts
ffmpeg.exe -i strip_3.mkv -c copy -r 30 -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate4.ts
ffmpeg.exe -i "concat:intermediate1.ts|intermediate2.ts|intermediate1.ts|intermediate3.ts|intermediate1.ts|intermediate4.ts|intermediate1.ts" -c copy -r 30 -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc output.mp4
ffmpeg.exe -i output.mp4 -r 30 -c:v dnxhd -b:v 45M -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov

Also i've attached the example.
Manager and 3D Generalist at Blend4Web
No pain, no gain.
mikhail@blend4web.com
14 February 2015 00:00
thanks a lot!

This is what is required, fyi:

-5 second slate that has relevant video info
-5 seconds black with 2 pop cue at appropriate point
-video
-2 pop cue and 2 seconds black after final video frame

I'll make a 2 pop and try assembling with ffmpeg, with an option to say "WTF??" and just use Blender.

The rendering of the video frames will be a few days. Once they are rendered, assembling them into a MOV file would only be a few minutes.
21 February 2015 22:01
After close to 12 days, the rendering of the PNGs is coming to a close in a handful of hours, so I would like to revisit this ffmpeg topic.

I will have 5 files to assemble:
5 second slate
3 seconds black
2 seconds black with audio pop at start
animation
2 seconds black with audio pop at start

What is the best quality export option from Windows 8 Blender 2.73 64 bit? These exported movies will then be assembled into a single movie with ffmpeg. Export is 1280x720 @ 24fps.
23 February 2015 00:16
Just want to add, as it has become apparent that a couple glaring errors make the video generally look like ass, so best quality doesn't really matter, though the info would still be appreciated. Instead, this version will be known as "1st render - v.SIGGRAPH". These kind of things happen when production gets rushed.
23 February 2015 03:48
Our video guru is snowboarding somewhere in Caucasus mountains. Should be back on Tuesday.
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
23 February 2015 05:30
I'm going to put the video to youtube this evening, then will assemble the siggraph version upon snowboarder return! I learned a lot with this project, like skip cycles next time and use internal. :)
23 February 2015 09:06
Here's the video and the generic info that goes with it

http://youtu.be/lyI6kqpn3AM

next performances November 18-22, 2015 http://www.TheMusicOfJunk.com
Waterfront Theatre on Granville Island, Vancouver, BC, Canada

I was the drummer for the September 2014 debut of "The Music of Junk" at the Vancouver Fringe Festival. After the shows were over, I decided to make an animation of the show as a winter project. At the end of January, I found out about a CGI festival called SIGGRAPH that accepts submissions and I saw the festival had a music video category, so I bumped up my planned end-of-February project conclusion one month to make the submission deadline. This is the CGI music video result of "1 person, 4 months".
Audio recorded September 2014 at Firehall Theater
Animation produced October 2014-January 2015
Rendering of animation from February 10th 11pm until February 22nd 9pm.
Software used:
Blender
GIMP
Audaciy
a little bit of Makehuman

rendered at 1280x720
85 samples

Please register or log in to leave a reply.