Forum

animation with build modifier

06 December 2016 19:51
So, you need optimize your objects in that way: combine as many materials into one material, may be you can make one animation for longer part of tubes and then play it step by step using NLA animation strip. It's only the way. So, than less the draw calls then better for perfomance, than less the dynamic objects than better for perfomans. You can add huge amount of animations but if they all will be played on only one dynamic object - this will increase perfomance of your application.

Thank you again, Mikhail! I will try combining the materials as far as I can. The mask textures may make it a bit tricky as I've used them for changing the colors of the water/gas objects along the length (that's how I got the long water tubes change from blue to red…). I may find a better solution for them as well. Once I know now what's causing it, I can hopefully do something about it.

Cheerio, Harri
07 December 2016 10:19
I know now what's causing it, I can hopefully do something about it.
Let us know if additional help needed.
Blend4web and that kind of thing.
07 December 2016 12:51
Hi Mikhail,

I managed to combine some of the animated materials together (had 5 animated water and 2 gas materials before, now 1 each) and got rid of the extra mask textures (before 4, now 2). I cleaned up all the extra materials from the Blender file as well. I took new screenshots from the viewer (see att.) and as you can see the textures take now nearly 30 megs less than before. Unfortunately, the result was really minimal, the load still takes about 50 seconds instead of 30 as before adding the animations. Any other ideas - besides cleaning up the meshes (which I will do anyway soonish…)?

Cheers, Harri
07 December 2016 14:11
I managed to combine some of the animated materials together (had 5 animated water and 2 gas materials before, now 1 each) and got rid of the extra mask textures (before 4, now 2). I cleaned up all the extra materials from the Blender file as well. I took new screenshots from the viewer (see att.) and as you can see the textures take now nearly 30 megs less than before. Unfortunately, the result was really minimal, the load still takes about 50 seconds instead of 30 as before adding the animations. Any other ideas - besides cleaning up the meshes (which I will do anyway soonish…)?
Yes, I see that amount of draw calls has decreased, but there's still lot of tham. Also optimisation of amount and image size can help. May be you can send your application (or just a animated part) in the support email, so we can look on it deeply.
07 December 2016 17:52
I've finished all but one animation and then I'm done with that (I hope). The next task is to simplify the model which is sort of an ongoing process for me. If that won't help enough I will then send you the files for inspection. The 3D model and textures are not yet in too good state which explains a lot of the slowness.

I noticed in the HUD that the shadows and glow materials take some processing time but do they affect the initial load as well? I might be able to bake some shadows in places that never change and would benefit from baking. Also, the glow materials are not essential for my visualization, even if they look nice.

Cheers, Harri
07 December 2016 18:20
I noticed in the HUD that the shadows and glow materials take some processing time but do they affect the initial load as well? I might be able to bake some shadows in places that never change and would benefit from baking. Also, the glow materials are not essential for my visualization, even if they look nice.
Shadows and othe posteffects (like glow) cant slow loading, they can slow rendering only. On loading have influence only amount of textures, animations, amount of dynamic and individual objects, amount of polygons, amount of materials.
08 December 2016 19:05
Just a quick question: What are the RTs mentioned in the viewer? That seems to stick to 80 MiBs even though I've done a lot of cleaning already.

I've combined textures and got rid of obsolete ones, and also scaled down few of them and with all that managed to get the total size of the textures down to 50 MiBs (originally 95MiBs) and also the geometry is down a few megs. The result? The load time is still 50 secs. Well, back to the grind…

That's why I'm really curious about the RTs…

Cheers, Harri
09 December 2016 10:53
Just a quick question: What are the RTs mentioned in the viewer? That seems to stick to 80 MiBs even though I've done a lot of cleaning already.
On RTs has influence only amount of posprocessing. If you descrease resolution of shadow casting and blur samples, discrease Quality of Anti-Aliasing and so on, you will get less value of RTs, but it will have influence only on rendering. So, as I said before amount of shaders and dynamic objects has influence of loading. So, is the best way that we can help you is to send us file with example of your scene. I see that you also have some errors in you scene, please one a console and make a screenshot of it, so we can help you to solve the problem.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.