Forum

Fading in / out multiple objects

07 August 2017 13:36
Hi,

This is my first post as I'm getting started on what will be a long blend4web project!

I have a scene with lots of bolts. I need to animate them being removed in groups, and I would like to transform them a few cm and then fade them out. I've got the transform done, as you can see in this gif.

The way the scene is constructed, I place an empty everywhere that there should be a bolt. I also place a single 'template bolt' in the scene. At runtime, I make instances of the template and append them where the empties are - it works great.

To fade out the bolts I was animating the diffuse color on the template bolt, like this:

var newAlpha = newAlpha - 0.1;
var color = m_material.get_diffuse_color(templateBolt, "BoltMaterial")
m_material.set_diffuse_color(templateBolt, "BoltMaterial", [color[0], color[1], color[2],newAlpha]);

That worked but all the bolts fade at once. I need a way to fade out only a single group of bolts.

And as a side question, is animating the material the only way to fade these objects out?
07 August 2017 14:37
Hi!
That worked but all the bolts fade at once. I need a way to fade out only a single group of bolts.
Off the top of my head, you can assign a different material for each group of bolts - BoltMaterial1, BoltMaterial2, etc
And as a side question, is animating the material the only way to fade these objects out?
Yes, I guess this is the only method currently available in Blend4Web.
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
07 August 2017 15:30
Yes, I guess this is the only method currently available in Blend4Web.

Ah, ok. This is going to be tricky then because I have some multi-material objects. Is there a way to replace or assign an object's material at runtime?
07 August 2017 15:43
Is there a way to replace or assign an object's material at runtime?
you can use the inherit_material() method for this
check out this code snippet: link
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin

Please register or log in to leave a reply.