Forum

Materials and Nodes

08 October 2015 14:40
Trepanning mentioned:
"I need info on how to create these type of awesome materials, I cannot even get a bump map to work it seems. :/"
I think I am in the same boat. But I also find I need training on basic material nodes in Blender in addition to the Blend4Web specific ones. Can anyone point me to some good training? I want to do some videos on Blend4Web material nodes but I need to understand it myself first. Just looking at source files, I can see the nodes but I don't know what they do.
In this demo there is a node tree that gives four different shades to four objects. It is very cool but I can't figure out how each shade is attached to each object.
08 October 2015 18:10
Hey, I'm working on the proper tutorial (With English subtitles, etc.), but I have this video. It is in Russian and was recorded when we had an old interface, so feel free to ask here or in the comments under the video :) I'm kinda showing all the process, so I hope something will be understandable without words
The main thing starts from 1:30

Some overall things:

- It's better for inputs/outputs to be the same color - like yellow-yellow, for example. Yellow is RGB, and you can break it to three BW channels - R,G and B. Blue are vectors - normal, UV, etc. It's kinda fun to play with their separated RGB channels :)

-Node Output is the "main" node. It's the final destination to all the info. The result will be rendered from the active output node.

-Node Material as a node is just a container for shading. So, if you'll just connect Texture node to Output, material will be shadeless. So you need to "process" all the color through Material node for it to be shaded.

-Every material in node tree can be set up like a normal material, but for B4W it's better to use 1 material at time (except from the normalmaps hack) - it's for performance

-The basic chain is: Geometry(UV out) ->Texture(RGB out)->Material(RGB out)->Output

-Normal maps from texture that are connected to the Material node won't work correctly in Blender viewport. We're discussing with Blender team this thing and it's kinda annoying We have a workaround - Replace special node, it is in my video, too.

Well, yeah, I think that's it. We got also another tutorial about nodes - it's not that detailed, but shows the process and has English subtitles

Hope it helps :)
09 October 2015 01:46
This is a great start, thanks!

Please register or log in to leave a reply.