Forum

What should we know about frame rate when creating B4W content?

28 December 2015 19:02
1. Does Blend4Web use the frame rate of a .blend to determine the refresh rate in the browser?

Since animation playback speed is determined by frame rate I imagine it is important to pay attention to. However, I also realize that games are different from video, and more latency can occur depending on how heavy part of a level is.

2. Let's say we have monsters who are animated and their animation cycles are created for 30-FPS - when we throw too many of these monsters into part of a level will they all get really slow one-by-one, or will the game stay synchronized but slow down globally?

3. Does frame rate play a role in the synchronization of game music?

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions, but I'm trying to understand frame rate in the context of games.
29 December 2015 18:48
Hello.
1. Does Blend4Web use the frame rate of a .blend to determine the refresh rate in the browser? Since animation playback speed is determined by frame rate I imagine it is important to pay attention to. However, I also realize that games are different from video, and more latency can occur depending on how heavy part of a level is.
If you speak about frames per second (FPS), Blend4Web tries to refresh as fast as possible.
blend framerate settings are used only for animation. So if you will use 60 fps, instead of 24, all animations will be almost thrice faster. And it will be the same speed no matter what FPS a user currently have.

3. Does frame rate play a role in the synchronization of game music?
No. Only animations are affected.
30 December 2015 10:22
blend framerate settings are used only for animation
It also refers to video textures.
06 January 2016 17:38
Thank you both for this helpful info. And sorry for the late reply.

I did a quick test animating a simple spinning object at 30FPS, and then I tried slowing it down to 1FPS. I was surprised that the motion was still smooth, although of course much slower. I think I understand now, what you mean about Blend4Web trying to refresh at the fastest rate possible.
And of course it makes perfect sense that video textures require a higher frame rate to appear smooth. I'll keep this in mind.

Finally I would like to ask, is there a recommended frame rate for creating game animations?
08 January 2016 02:13
I think standard animation speed of 24 frames per second should be enough in most cases.
08 January 2016 07:17
Thank you, Alexander!

Please register or log in to leave a reply.