Forum

normal maps strength in node material and combining normal maps

08 January 2016 08:54
Hey guys, got two questions.

First question one is straightforward, hope there is a straightforward answer too.
When *not* using node materials there is a slider that controls the strength of the normal map. How do I achieve the same with nodes?

Second question: if I have two normal maps and want to combine there effects is there a way to do that with nodes? The thing is both normal maps use different uv sets so doing it in Photoshop is not an option.
08 January 2016 09:47
Actually I have an even more basic question - how I am supposed to connect a normal map properly in node mode?
Should I us the texture node's Value, Color or Normal?
08 January 2016 13:35

First question one is straightforward, hope there is a straightforward answer too.
When *not* using node materials there is a slider that controls the strength of the normal map. How do I achieve the same with nodes?

Hi!
See attached file. I have one slot with node material and one with simple material. Set flag Geometry: Normal and Normal Map for the texture. Then I made a new material node with linked simple material. So now you can use Normal output. Then I just set some value for Geometry:Normal on the texture tab to emulate Strength.

Second question: if I have two normal maps and want to combine there effects is there a way to do that with nodes? The thing is both normal maps use different uv sets so doing it in Photoshop is not an option.

Unfortunately, It is not possible now, but we are preparing a patch to support Normal Map node that will enable multiple UV for Normals and allow Normal mixing.

I hope this will help!
Alexander (Blend4Web Team)
twitter
12 January 2016 03:44
Yes, thanks for the help!

The new normal features sound good, Iooking forward.
12 January 2016 08:04
Actually, no… doesn't work or at least not reliably …
I was able to get it to work on a test object but not on the actual object I want to work with. Pretty frustrating.
It's also weird because the normal map shows correctly in blender viewport and when I render with F12…
12 January 2016 12:47
Could you please attach a simplified blend file with the issue? I will show it to our artists.
Alexander (Blend4Web Team)
twitter
11 February 2016 06:18
Have you considered baking the normal maps in either Blender Internal or Cycles?
Then they would both use the same UV layout, and you could either keep them as two separate images or combine them into one. Just treat them as diffuse maps (color data) in this case. And make a backup of your originals, so as not to accidentally overwrite them. Could this be a solution for your project?

Please register or log in to leave a reply.