Forum

Is it possible to render transparency behind transparency?

04 February 2016 07:17
While experimenting with reflective and refractive materials I noticed that a transparent material behind another transparent material becomes completely invisible. Is there a setting I can change to increase the transparency sampling and make such objects appear?
Thanks

In the screen shot above, notice how the green sphere (a reflective but opaque object) appears in the refraction of the blue torus, however the yellow cube (a transparent object) does not.
We also don't see the back side of the objects themselves, even though the Transparency Type is set to Alpha Sort.

reflection_and_refraction.blend
04 February 2016 12:13

Is there a setting I can change to increase the transparency sampling and make such objects appear?
No, transparency can't be rendered through the refraction and I think it's can't be implemented because of WebGl limitations.
Blend4web and that kind of thing.
04 February 2016 13:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OODzTMcGDD0&list=PLzH6n4zXuckrPkEUK5iMQrQyvj9Z6WCrm&index=4
Here is an amazing video out of a amazing series witch i think nails this problem quite well and why it is so difficult to get right.

I have this problem in blender viewport with window on a house model. If the window is selected i can see inside if not i see through the whole house…
04 February 2016 13:53
Okay, I kind of expected that was the case, but wanted to check. Thank you both for the info.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.