Forum

Wipe effect on a 3D scene texture?

07 March 2016 05:28
If I have an object that will use a 3D scene as a texture, and I want to "wipe" across it to transition. Can this be done?

I was looking at the helicopter demo, how when the user clicks on a number the parts are revealed gradually with a gradient. Would this work for a 3D scene texture as well?

Below is the effect I'm going for. Although I made this with Blender Internal and an image sequence texture, not Blend4Web and a 3D scene texture:

I tried creating a node material to mix between the material using the 3D scene texture and a simple diffuse color material, but it did not work. Maybe 3D scenes as textures cannot be used in node-based materials - and if that is the case, I am wondering if there is another way.
Thanks.

07 March 2016 14:48
In the Helicopter Demo is a Menu on the bottom left. There are some "Star" Buttons. If you press them, the helicopter changes its texture with a cool wipe effect. Maybe you can find out how this is done. Sorry, but im a noob with B4W and this is all how i can help you.
07 March 2016 16:41
Yes, voxel23 - that is the effect I am referring to. I'm not sure how it was done, or if it might work with 3D scene textures.
All I know is that when I tried using a 3D scene texture with nodes it didn't work.

Wait… as I'm typing this I just thought of a workaround for my particular case.
I'm still curious about whether 3D scene textures can be used with material nodes, but if they can't I have another plan.

Thanks
07 March 2016 17:11
Hello,

3d scene textures have no differences compared to other textures except that they can only have square dimensions (and thus - square camera dimensions). So, your approach is completely correct. You only need to remember that node animation in Blend4Web supports only Value and RGB nodes.

I've prepared an example for you. Look at the attachment please.
08 March 2016 05:56
Excellent! Thank you, Evgeny!
I learned a lot from studying your node setup.

I didn't realize that node keyframing was supported at all in Blend4Web, and I thought the B4W_TIME node was the only way to animate materials. Is this a new feature? It's very useful!
08 March 2016 13:45
Ответ на сообщение пользователя Mentalist
Excellent! Thank you, Evgeny!
I learned a lot from studying your node setup.

I didn't realize that node keyframing was supported at all in Blend4Web, and I thought the B4W_TIME node was the only way to animate materials. Is this a new feature? It's very useful!
Glad it helped you.

Actually, node animation was introduced year ago in 15.03

Please register or log in to leave a reply.