Forum

Product Customization

21 March 2017 22:07
Hey Ivan,

Thanks for the correction and especially thanks for this nice explanation man!!!!

I have several other style of boxes that I am modeling.

Okay now please advice I am using the shape key to change the shape.
Is there any better more effective way of doing it or I am on the right path

Also I would be needing to put wrapping materials onto these models so
this method would be effective for then as well

Kindest Regards
Kagazwala
22 March 2017 12:03
Thanks for the correction and especially thanks for this nice explanation man!!!!
Nice, glad it helped!

Okay now please advice I am using the shape key to change the shape.
Is there any better more effective way of doing it or I am on the right path
Basically, changing the dimensions of an object is a simple scaling transformation. Unfortunately, blend4web doesn't support scaling on a certain axis, otherwise you would be able to use something like scale_x()/scale_y()/scale_z(). This feature can be implemented in the future, but as for now using shape keys is the easiest way.

Alternatively, the shape of an object can be changed via the procedural skeletal animation, when you can move/rotate a certain bone and transform the related vertices. For example, you can create a skeleton with 3 independent bones to control the sizes of a box - one for every dimension - and translate them along the correspondent axis.

Controlling individual bones can be a more convenient way for complex meshes and transformations, but this approach requires some additional work like painting weights for every bone in Blender. So, I think that using shape keys is quite effective in your case. Anyway, this is the example of the procedural animation via the Bone API, if you wonder what it looks like: Bone API

Also I would be needing to put wrapping materials onto these models so
this method would be effective for then as well
You can change some material parameters via the Material API, textures via the change_image method or replace the whole material via the inherit_material function. More info here: Material API and Inherit Material.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.