Blog

Blend4Web: Beginner's Guide. Chapter 8: Final Touches

2016-12-28

This lesson concludes the Blend4Web Beginner’s Guide. You have already got a sampling of how to create models in Blender, how to texture them, animate them and prepare them for export to HTML. There is only one step left. You will only need a bit of patience and diligence, and an excellent presentation will be your reward!

Color Selection

So, in the previous lesson you have learned about several Blend4Web logic nodes and used them to create the first part of the presentation. And now, let’s find out how to make our application able to change the color of the phone’s frame.

You will have to create several objects for color samples. They will be used to store the colors and will not be visible in the actual app. You can use simple cubes for them. Create these objects and place them somewhere offscreen. It is also preferable to rename them appropriately. For example, I named them CubeBlue, CubeRed and CubeBlack.

There are three colors that a user can select for the frame of the phone: black, red and blue. You have to create these colors beforehand. The easiest way to do this is to duplicate the black material that is used by default. But, of course, you can create unique materials as well. Only don’t forget to give them proper names. In our case, their names are: body_blue, body_red and body_black. We will need them later.

Figure 1

But we also need buttons that will change the materials when clicked by a user. You can use cubes for them too, just refine them into something more appealing to the eye. For example, I simply created three copies of a phone button (the SHIFT+D hot keys) and assigned the corresponding materials to them

For the sake of convenience you can assign a single parent object for all three buttons. For example, you can use the panel as one. To create a link between them, first select a button, then the parent object, and then press CTRL+P (read the 6th lesson for more in-depth instructions).

As the panel with buttons should only appear on the screen once the phone stops rotating, move it from the screen and create a simple animation of it sliding into view.

Now, if you have prepared all necessary objects, let’s proceed with the programming.

So, last time we stopped on the Transform Object node. As the object is selected by a user, it stops rotating and turns to the camera. It is a perfect time to set our buttons loose. To do this, we, of course, will use the familiar Play Animation node (fig. 2).

Figure 2

Once the buttons have appeared on the screen, it is time to program them using the Switch Select node. Look closely at this node. It has the “+” button. By pressing it, you can create additional fields for multiple objects. You can also remove object fields with the “-” button. But the general idea remains the same: the node waits for an object to be selected and, if this object is on the list, passes control to a Hit socket, and if it isn’t, to the Miss socket.

Set the Switch Select node for working with buttons (fig. 3).

Figure 3

Blend4Web offers us a specific Inherit Material node for changing object’s material on-the-fly. It has two global fields, Source and Destination. It’s easy to guess that the node takes the material of an object in the first field and assigns it to the object in the second field. You also have to specify the material that will be copied and the material that will be replaced by it. As we have three colors, we need the same number of nodes (fig. 4).

Figure 4

Now you can check how well color selection works in a web browser.

Video On The Screen and Smart Tips

Working with video files isn’t much different from working with regular textures. The principle remains: prepare a polygon (UV map) you need, create a separate material and a texture for it. Simply specify a path to a video files instead of an image (working with textures and materials is described more thoroughly in the 5th lesson).

For the screen, we will use a separate object with a shape and size equal to those of the model’s screen. You can create a new object, or you can make an independent copy. This operation is a bit different from the already familiar Duplicate, as we need to separate a part of an object from it, in this case.

Select the phone model and switch to edit mode. Mark the polygons of the screen and duplicate them by pressing SHIFT+D. Now you have a copy of these polygons, but it is still a part of the object. Without unselecting them, press the P key and choose Selection from the menu that appears. Now, the screen is an independent object. Give it a name and set the phone as its parent.

Blend4Web is able to work with several video formats. You can find the specifics in the user manual. I’ve prepared a little video clip with Android logo in m4v format for my presentation (it can be found in the project archive). Let’s take a look on how to set up a video on the Texture panel (fig. 5):

 1. Select Movie from the Source menu. Select a file and load it.

 2. Press the Match Movie Length button to automatically count the number of frames in the video.

 3. Enable the Auto Refresh option so the video would start automatically.

 4. Turn on Cyclic so the video will play in cycles.

Figure 5

If you export the scene to HTML, the video will start playing right after the application loads. There is no mistake here as we enabled auto-start in the settings ourselves. But we also need to play the video only after the user turns on the smartphone.

There is an easy way to implement this function: we simply have to temporarily hide the object that plays the video. This is why we created a second screen.

Blend4Web features two nodes that can hide or show an object: Hide Object and Show Object.

First, we need to hide the video. Place the Hide Object node (Object category) at the very beginning of our logic tree between the Entry Point and Switch Select node. You can break the old link, but there is a more convenient way of adding a new node between two old ones. Open the Add menu and select the node you need. Move in to the link between the aforementioned two nodes and release the mouse button. Blender will automatically integrate it into the logic tree as shown in Figure 6.

Figure 6

Now we have to add logic for turning on the screen, which should happen only after the phone stops rotating. To do this, we will use the Switch Select node that we are already familiar with. Add a new object field to this node and connect the corresponding output with the Show Object node. The object should be the button on your phone. In my case it is titled Button.

Figure 7

It would also be nice to add hints to our presentation. For this, Blend4Web offers us a ready-made solution, and a very elegant one too. You have probably already seen something like this in b4w demo apps. Let’s find out how it works.

To create a tip, you have to add an “anchor” to wherever you need it in the scene. “Anchors” are really just Empty objects. You can attach such an object to a smartphone’s button and create a description on a dedicated panel.

You need the Anchors and the Meta Tags panels that can be found in the Properties window of any Empty object. Note that a tip can contain additional text. I have only used the Title parameter, so my tips are strictly one-lined. However, you can add more text to the Description field. If you do so, a user will be able to read this text by clicking the title of the tip (fig. 8).

Figure 8

And this, my friends, is the end. My lessons have come to a close. I hope that you have learned enough to create presentations of your own. But do not limit yourself with what you have learned. The Blend4Web framework possesses many more features and functions that I haven’t even touched upon in my tutorials. Using it, you can create just about anything: from presentations and product customizers to complex applications such as entire online shops and video games, of course. So follow event on the Blend4Web official web site, subscribe to my twitter, and maybe I will have something else to make your day.

Link to interactive scene.

Updated source files are included in the Blend4Web SDK starting with the release 17.01 for both PRO and CE version. The files are located in the blend4web/blender/tutorials/basic/for_beginners folder.

Comments
25 aug. 2022 13:33
Chapter 8 covers the last two objectives of the course, which is Test Automation and Continuous Integration. Test automation can be an incredibly useful and powerful technique in your software development business, as it will save you a lot of time and money. I prefer you to get cheap essay writing coupon and learn skills of education. The article will provide you with some recommendations on how to go about implementing test automation in your projects.
01 sep. 2022 08:06
3D web is used for interactive 3D content. When I am a beginner in this field so I can see this site https://designeraviator.com/ is very informative for me in web designing and 3D web. I also recommend it to my student.
01 sep. 2022 08:07
3D web is used for interactive 3D content. When I am a beginner in this field so I can see this site link is very informative for me in web designing and 3D web. I also recommend it to my student.
29 oct. 2022 23:02
Thanks for the guidance. This is very interesting for me. And if I'm interested, then I absorb knowledge like a sponge. What can not be said about writing an essay. What, I chose essaywritinglab.co.uk for myself. I originally turned to them because they have affordable prices. This is important as they made sure the poor students could afford to order. And I could see for myself that they only have professionally written content.
04 nov. 2022 14:47
I've been reading your book and I wanted to take a moment to thank you for it. I've been playing guitar for about 6 months now and I have found the book very helpful in my learning process. It has helped me understand the basics of playing guitar. I came across your book while browsing on Amazon and decided to give it a try. Go to roof repair westminster for best repairing services. This was my first guitar book ever, so I wasn't sure how much help it would be. But after reading through all the chapters, I realized that there is no better way than having someone teach you everything they know about guitars.
09 dec. 2022 09:40
I've been using Blend4Web for a few months now, and I think it's great. It's easy to use and intuitive. The only thing I don't like is how the help file is written in broken English. It's not very helpful. Go to this custom stone and marble to buy best marble at cheap prices. I'm also glad that you started this tutorial with Chapter 8: Final Touches. That chapter talks about how to setup everything so that you can upload your own images and start creating your own animations.
09 dec. 2022 11:12
Stairway Parts Names

Stairs are a totally critical a part of multistory homes. It may be described as a chain set of steps used for mountain climbing one ground to every other of a building. It is appropriate for strolling up a small vertical distance. There are many varieties of stairs utilized in homes and structures.

To examine on staircase one should apprehend its additives. There are numerous additives or components of a staircase which have their personal functions.

Staircases can be in all shapes and preparations to healthy exceptional houses however the foremost components which cross as much as make any staircases are pretty common. In this article, all cutting-edge stair components are mentioned additionally.

Also Read: Cinder Bricks

1. Step (Tread and Riser)

Tread
Tread is a scrap of the stairway this is stepped in. It is the pinnacle or horizontal floor to press below the feet. It is trodden on even as mountain climbing or descending the staircase. It is built to the identical thickness as different flooring. There is continually one fewer tread than risers in a staircase. The ordinary horizontal distance of the steps could be the variety of threads introduced together.

Riser
The riser is the vertical element among every tread at the stair. Not all stairs have risers. The rise-much less steps are referred to as the open thread. Open riser stairs have grown in recognition in current years. The closed tread stair has risers included. The vertical board bureaucracy the face of the step and additionally bureaucracy the distance among one step and the next.

2. Nosing

Nosing is the horizontal, sticking out fringe of a stair in which maximum foot site visitors occurs. Mostly, it's miles the 1/2 of-rounded molding constant to the ends of the threads uncovered in a 1/2 of which covers in which the balusters healthy into the treads. Nosing is the threshold of the tread projecting past the face of the riser and the face of a reduce string. This is in which the thread above a riser overhangs it. In a few cases, tread won't have a nosing

3. Bullnose

It is referred to as Starting footstep. When stairs are unbolted on one or each sides, the preliminary step above the decrease ground can be wilder than the alternative steps and rounded. A double bullnose refers to a staircase that isn't always in opposition to a wall and consequently there's a bullnose at each ends of the beginning step.

Also Read: Tremie Pipe

4. String

It is likewise referred to as a stringer or stringer board. There are structural helps that run alongside both aspect of the staircase, aleven though the treads can be supported in lots of different ways. The stringers are from time to time notched in order that the risers and treads healthy into them.

5. Winders

Winders are the stairs which are narrower on one aspect than the alternative. A collection of winders shape a round or spiral stairway. Stairway winders or turns contain triangular treads to finish the turn. When 3 steps are used to show a 90-diploma corner, the center step is known as a kite winder as a kite double winder. The Toronto Home inspection indicates that best one set of winders ought to be allowed in a staircase and the scale ought to be tripping hazards.

6. Balustrade

A balustrade is a collective call for the entire meeting of handrails, base rails, newels, spindles, infill, and more recent caps.

7. Volute

A volute is a handrail stop aspect for the curtail or bullnose footsteps that curve inward like a spiral. It is stated to be left or right-exceeded relying on which aspect of the handrail is as one faces up the steps. The element is sort of a scroll on the access of a handrail, from time to time known as a monkey's tail. Available with an up-ramp, it's miles mounted at the lowest of the aspect on a beginning step, extending out from the aspect of the staircase. However, it has the maximum tough set up procedure you may locate in a staircase.

8. Baluster

The baluster is a time period that holds up the handrail. It is a vertical member which posts withinside the area beneathneath the banister to the treads or ground( at the aspect of a landing). Sometimes. it's miles definitely known as a protect or spindle.

Also Read: Beam Bridge Disadvantages
10 dec. 2022 15:40
It is now time to make sure that your website looks as good as possible. There are a few things you can do to make your site look great, but the most important thing is making sure that all of the images look great. If people are going to be visiting your website often, they will want to see it looking good at all times. Go to this why not look here for best ideas. You might want to add some text over the image or video clip if it’s not visible or if it doesn’t match up with the rest of your design. If it is visible, then make sure that there is enough space around the text so that it doesn’t appear blurry or too small when viewed on a mobile device.
10 jan. 2023 13:25
Academic inside has always proved to be available for our customers and we have never let our customers down. We make sure to provide our customers with the content they desire. Regardless of the stature of the work. Order Dissertation
20 jun. 2023 14:02
HARDCORE CYCLES was started in the Greater Philadelphia area by a group of tight friends with a passion for V-Twin performance aftermarket parts. They would sling parts at local swap meets or trade with friends all while wishing there was a one stop shop for performance parts especially relating to the Dyna and FXR scene – so they created their own.
Visit : Brass balls
Please register or log in to leave a reply.