Forum

B4W 16.06 - Performance Issue

04 July 2016 14:35
Hi @ll,

we noticed a drop in framerate, switching from version 16.05 to 16.06.
Appart from adding a VectorTransform-node to some chairs, to adjust to the coordinate-space-changes, there were no modifications to the scene (Some chairs still look wrong, because their shaders haven't been updated yet).

test-scene-16.05
test-scene-16.06

On more powerful test-systems there was a performance drop from 60 to 50 fps,
while less powerful systems had a noticeable drop from 50 to 25 fps.

Could it have something to do with the changes to SSAO or anisotropic filtering?

Cheers
@ Emotional3D
04 July 2016 16:07
Hi Daniel,

On more powerful test-systems there was a performance drop from 60 to 50 fps,
while less powerful systems had a noticeable drop from 50 to 25 fps.
The VectorTransform-node is rather performance costly (it contains 1 or 2 matrix multiplication depending on its parameters).

But we've tried to change our node system spacing in the most user-painless way, so that there should be minimal changes in old materials to look the same as earlier. Our demo scenes required adding 1-2 Vector Transform nodes or no changes at all after migrating to the 16.06 version. So if it is possible, it would be great if you could send us (here or via support email) a small example of your node setup, so we could check it for possible optimizations.

Could it have something to do with the changes to SSAO or anisotropic filtering?
Don't think so. There were no changes in SSAO and anisotropic filtering in the 16.06 engine.
Blend4Web Team - developer
Twitter
LinkedIn
05 July 2016 12:22
Greetings,

Thanks for your reply, Konstantin, but after some more testing the drop in frame-rate seems to be unrelated to our modifications to the node material.

I have created a test-scene to rule out some possible influence factors that could have caused the drop.

It is a simple scene with some test-geometry with a simple node material and SSAO enabled.
The scene has been exported using both b4w_16.05 json export and b4w_16.06 json export - the blender scene hasn't been modified between the two exports.
After loading the test-scenes using the b4w.min.js libraries of 16.05 and 16.06 respectively there is still a difference in performance (on my workstation it's about 50fps for 16.05 and about 30fps for 16.06)

I have uploaded all the test-files as an attachment, hopefully they will assist you in replicating this problem.

Cheers,
Simon
@ VisCircle GmbH
05 July 2016 13:04
Hi Simon,

After loading the test-scenes using the b4w.min.js libraries of 16.05 and 16.06 respectively there is still a difference in performance (on my workstation it's about 50fps for 16.05 and about 30fps for 16.06)
First of all, thank you very much for an excellent test example

We've checked the issue. It really has nothing to do with the node material. There is an internal bug with resize_to_container functionality.
We've already fixed it. An updated version of the LTS engine will be available on Thursday (the 7th). It will bring back the normal level performance to your apps
Twitter
LinkedIn
05 July 2016 13:50
Hi Konstantin,

Thanks for the quick response, glad my example was of use and it's great to hear that you've already managed to fix the bug
Looking forward to the update
@ VisCircle GmbH
11 July 2016 12:01

Looking forward to the update
Hello,

I am sorry, I've forgotten to notify you that the update is available:
https://www.blend4web.com/en/forums/topic/2049/?page=1#post-10420
Twitter
LinkedIn

Please register or log in to leave a reply.