Forum

Correct point light's shadow

05 September 2016 18:10
It's written in the doc and I could notice this :

Shadows from Point light sources are generated the same way as from Spot light sources and are projected only in one direction specified by the source’s Rotation parameter.

Why ??
A point light shines in all directions and it should be the same for its shadows.

For example, I wanted to illuminate just a room in my scene, so I put a point light in the room but like the shadows are only in one direction, the others rooms are illuminate too. Four walls should be able to completely block a lamp.

What do you think ?
I'm not crazy ! My reality is just different than yours.
06 September 2016 10:15
Why ??
A point light shines in all directions and it should be the same for its shadows.

It's will be to hard to render such kind of shadows, so we simplifyed it for better perfomance. But it's in our TODO list.

For example, I wanted to illuminate just a room in my scene, so I put a point light in the room but like the shadows are only in one direction, the others rooms are illuminate too. Four walls should be able to completely block a lamp.
You can create spot light with very wide angle so it will illuminate only in the room and imitate shadowing of the Point light shdowing.
Blend4web and that kind of thing.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.