Forum

Support for Augmented Reality (AR) in B4W

05 April 2017 20:47
Hi,

I have seen in other threads that AR support in B4W has been considered for quite some time (since, at least, December 2014). Nonetheless, currently no out-of-the-box support for AR is available in B4W. Not having out-of-the-box support for AR in B4W means that those that are using B4W for web-based 3D and *also* want to target AR have to use and integrate with additional tools and libraries, respectively (which increases complexity, substantially).

Web-based AR is becoming more and more viable as the AR.js (link) project has demonstrated: link

Hence, my question… would it be possible to get some kind of clarification with regards to what the intention is with AR in B4W? And if there is some kind of intention to provide AR support, what would that look like? I assume it would entail AR-specific APIs.

Finally, I want to emphasize that I am not criticizing B4W. That is, B4W is a fantastic tool and the team behind it have done and are doing a phenomenal job. The above questions, more than anything, are about trying to understand where B4W is heading with regards to AR.

Regards,

Brett
06 April 2017 14:36
Actually, there are no plans to support built-in mechanisms for AR in Blend4Web as for now and a primary reason for this is that there are already solutions out there which can be implemented with Blend4Web with a bit of effort. I'm speaking about awe.js for example.

We'll consider making some public examples with it in the near future.
12 April 2017 08:22
Okay, I understand the reasoning. Thanks for the response. Anyway, some examples of using Blend4Web with third-party AR solutions would be appreciated :)

Brett

Please register or log in to leave a reply.