Forum

Combination of Mirror + Array Modifier fails to reproduce Blender's output

08 October 2017 22:47
Take the start-up scene and cut the cube in half, then use the Mirror Modifier to restore the full cube shape. I get the same result in Blender Viewport / B4W Fast Preview:

However, if I apply an additional Array Modifier to the cube, I get cubes in Blender but only half-cubes in B4W:

Of course, I can still get the right result by checking "apply modifiers" (before export) to pre-apply the Mirror Modifier, but that means the Array Modifier gets pre-applied too and if you have large arrays or complex objects (or both), you'll end up with unacceptably large polygon counts/file sizes.

I could swear this combo of modifiers still worked in my scenes up to B4W 17.02, but no longer in 17.08. (I cannot test it though because I no longer have 17.02 installed.)
10 October 2017 14:58
Of course, I can still get the right result by checking "apply modifiers" (before export) to pre-apply the Mirror Modifier, but that means the Array Modifier gets pre-applied too and if you have large arrays or complex objects (or both), you'll end up with unacceptably large polygon counts/file sizes.
Hello,

for now to export complex objects and not too make your files unacceptably large you need to:
- Manually apply all modifiers except "Array"
- Keep "Array" not applied and do not enable "Apply Modifiers" or "Apply Scale and Modifiers" in b4w object export options
Blend4Web Team - developer
Twitter
LinkedIn
10 October 2017 20:35
Thanks Konstantin,

I have done exactly that for the time being. Do I take it from your wording "…for now to export…" that a future version will handle this issue properly in runtime?

I think it would be very important considering the ubiquitous use of these modifiers, and the great potential of reducing filesize etc (50% for the Mirror Modifier).

Please register or log in to leave a reply.