Forum

Negative scale

03 October 2015 22:02
tkp
Hi !

"negative scale" handling seem to have changed from 15_06 to 15_07+.

In 15_07+, my scene doesn't appear the same as in blender, and the browser console display `B4W WARN: negative scale for object Component#35, using positive scale instead`. Object > Export options > [v] Apply Scale And Modifiers fixes the problem !

But it is not straightforward to 1) check for each object's scale 2) tick the checkbox if scale is negative. Furthermore, I think it could look like a bug for most people, since a scene is not displayed like in blender..

Is current behavior a feature ? Is it possible to have a global option "use negative scale" or equivalent ? Out of curiosity, why is this change have been made/required ?

Thanks for the awesome work and software, keep on !

Victor
05 October 2015 11:05
Hi!

Is current behavior a feature ? Is it possible to have a global option "use negative scale" or equivalent ? Out of curiosity, why is this change have been made/required ?
This was a minor fix. Negative scale has led to some lighting bugs. So we've decided to use positive scale, because this shouldn't make a significant change. Could you provide us with an example/screenshot of this issue? Is the difference too big?
06 October 2015 14:13
tkp
Hi Ivan,

thanks for your reply.

Here is a screen-capture of the difference between 10.06 and 15.09. In blender, the model looks like in the 10.06 export. The difference is quite visible for the spotlights and some walls. The problematic objects all have negative scale.

Since it is an import, i would like not to make too much modifications on the model. Even if it is solvable through scripting, applying the transforms to the objects breaks the instancing, so the file becomes heavier which is not ideal for real-time usage.

For now, i didn't find a way to 1) display like in blender 2) keep instancing, for lower file-size. I guess it could be problematic for other people too.

Do you think it is solvable on your side ?

Victor

Export from 15.06

Export from 15.09
06 October 2015 19:40
Do you think it is solvable on your side ?
OK, we'll restore the old behavior by the next release. But we don't support negative scale properly at the moment. So it can lead to some unexplored bugs. Thanks for pointing out the issue.
07 October 2015 22:50
tkp
Thanks, great to know. Please tell me if I can help testing. I might have seen this lightning/shading difference on the negative-scaled instances and will try to pay attention to any issues on the subject.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.