Forum

control shadow intensity

10 November 2015 11:27
It would be nice to have control over the intensity/darkness of the shadows that are being cast from lights. It could be a light property (makes most sense to me) or per object or something. :)
10 November 2015 12:22
Hi,
It would be nice to have control over the intensity/darkness of the shadows that are being cast from lights. It could be a light property (makes most sense to me) or per object or something. :)
You can control shadow color using Environment Lighting settings.
More on shadow settings
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
11 November 2015 05:21
Hi
maybe I'm missing something but I think in Environment Lighting you can setup the ambient lighting strength which does help with shadows, however it also brightens or darkens the whole scene.
What I am suggesting is the ability to tweak the shadow "density" per light source. I think this options is not available in blender but I've used such a feature with 3ds max' shadow maps as well as unity shadow maps and it sure does come in handy in some situations . :)
11 November 2015 10:09
I looked through Unity manual and found no such settings. This forum topic suggests that the users should tweak ambient color setting to change the shadow color, just like in Blend4Web. The reason for this I believe is that overriding shadow color with some arbitrary value would not be physically correct.
12 November 2015 03:50
Here is exactly what I mean. Notice how the shadow becomes less dense as the Strength parameter decreases.

12 November 2015 12:16
Oh I see they actually got such setting! My bad. Maybe we'll add this feature someday too.
13 November 2015 03:49
Great! Yeah, I'd say such a feature can be useful in piratical scenarios.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.