Forum

Outline on Rollover ( similar to Outline on Select )

15 September 2015 00:17
I would like to have an option to outline an object when you roll over it, if it's selectable.

When you roll-out of it, it would then de-outline. ( of course, this would be mouse only, touch wouldn't make sense )

Another option might be to trigger the outline every X seconds, starting at X seconds ( eg start at 10 seconds, and trigger again every 60 seconds ), to help users identify what can be interacted with in the scene. The start time would allow for the designer to set up a sequence of highlights / outlines appearing in order, rather than them just appearing at the same time.

This might be a bit too specific, but I figured - if you don't ask etc :)

15 September 2015 10:14
Hi,
I would like to have an option to outline an object when you roll over it, if it's selectable.

When you roll-out of it, it would then de-outline. ( of course, this would be mouse only, touch wouldn't make sense )

This is possible, although requires a bit of programming. Please see sources of this demo in the SDK. Search for enable_mouse_hover_outline (API reference).

Another option might be to trigger the outline every X seconds, starting at X seconds ( eg start at 10 seconds, and trigger again every 60 seconds ), to help users identify what can be interacted with in the scene. The start time would allow for the designer to set up a sequence of highlights / outlines appearing in order, rather than them just appearing at the same time.

This can be done with apply_outline_anim() method.

Hope this helps!
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
15 September 2015 22:50
Hi Yuri,

I was more thinking of them as a UI option, as selectable is in there. Highlighting an object after selecting is probably not something that would happen too often ( an actual 3D model change might be more common ), however highlighting to indicate that the object is selectable to the user ( either time based, or on roll-over ) might be a more common usage of the effect.
16 September 2015 11:22
Ответ на сообщение пользователя crazyFolker
Hi Yuri,

I was more thinking of them as a UI option, as selectable is in there. Highlighting an object after selecting is probably not something that would happen too often ( an actual 3D model change might be more common ), however highlighting to indicate that the object is selectable to the user ( either time based, or on roll-over ) might be a more common usage of the effect.

I see. I think the main reason we didn't implement it as an UI option yet is that this feature can be used only on desktop computers with the mouse. Touch screen devices have only "clicking" ability, while we want to achieve consistency across all platforms. For the same reason we have no keyboard events in our logic editor, and so on.
11 February 2016 13:18
Hi,

I would like to know that when we are highlighting an object for selection the highlighter is colliding over the other objects too. Whether we have any kind of solution for this issue. If so please let me know.

We are facing major problem with this effect.
12 February 2016 12:47
Hi,
I would like to know that when we are highlighting an object for selection the highlighter is colliding over the other objects too. Whether we have any kind of solution for this issue. If so please let me know.
Could you please post here a screenshot depicting this issue?

Please register or log in to leave a reply.