Forum

Additions to camera's "panning mode"

04 December 2014 13:03
Hi,

I already got helped by you guys on my project (thank you!), and while working on that I came up with some suggestions for the add-on. These are about camera's "panning mode" when in Target move style. I'm sure you've already thought of most of these, but just in case…

- it'd be great to be able to set the speed of the panning with simple slider, so that one wouldn't have to scale the whole scene up/down to get desired speed for the panning.

- it would be very helpful to be able to lock certain axis in panning mode, e.g locking Z so that camera moves only in XY-plane when dragging with RMB/scroll wheel. (hover mode already does that, but the controls are not quite as pleasant and intuitive for e.g product presentations)

- including horizontal and vertical translation limits for the panning, as in hover mode. This would help to not get lost from the model accidentally, and increase usability.

(and one from other area: automatically converting cycles node setups: this is probably very much to ask, and I think it may not even be possible, but many of us users would scream of joy if this was to happen…)

That's it. As I've said earlier, the add-on is very powerful already as it is, and it's a joy to use

Have a nice day!
Aleksi
04 December 2014 14:52
Hi Aleksi,

Thanks for your kind words and for suggesting useful functionality.

- it'd be great to be able to set the speed of the panning with simple slider, so that one wouldn't have to scale the whole scene up/down to get desired speed for the panning.
Yeah we have already decreased the panning speed a bit, and yes, having speed settings for camera movements (including rotations) would be great (and quite easy to implement).

- it would be very helpful to be able to lock certain axis in panning mode, e.g locking Z so that camera moves only in XY-plane when dragging with RMB/scroll wheel. (hover mode already does that, but the controls are not quite as pleasant and intuitive for e.g product presentations)
Yep hovering already does it. It also support rotations in the horizontal plane. The difference from your proposed panning feature is just that left and right mouse buttons are flipped.

- including horizontal and vertical translation limits for the panning, as in hover mode. This would help to not get lost from the model accidentally, and increase usability.
Perhaps setting panning speed to a lower value will help? Of course when this feature will be available

(and one from other area: automatically converting cycles node setups: this is probably very much to ask, and I think it may not even be possible, but many of us users would scream of joy if this was to happen…)
This question is answered in our FAQ. Please take a look. BTW our guys are now porting some Cycles nodes for using in GLSL node materials.

The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
03 January 2015 10:27
I also would like to see a constraint on panning range in "target" mode. I'd like to prevent such things as being able to see the bottom of a ground plane or underside of a structure.
03 January 2015 11:15
I also would like to see a constraint on panning range in "target" mode. I'd like to prevent such things as being able to see the bottom of a ground plane or underside of a structure.
We need to think about it. For now I'd suggest to use the Hover mode which is very helpful for extended scenes such as buildings or locations, or just turn the panning off as we do for almost every of our "artistic" demo scenes.
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin

Please register or log in to leave a reply.