Forum

Tiling Textures

19 November 2014 07:12
Is there a way to get a small texture to repeat-tile across the surface of an object on export? I hope that makes sense. Thanks.
19 November 2014 10:14
Yep If I understood correctly - see .blend file with tortoise - sand texture is tiled. Just add node mapping after UV, it will be automatically tiled. If it's stack material, find "size" in mapping in texture tab - it does the same thing
20 November 2014 08:16
I think this is another case of a "hidden" setting. I tried duplicating what you did here, and got the texture 'mapped' to the center of my object, with 'stripes' extending out from the sides as before. When I appended your material and applied it to my model, this effect went away.

I scrolled up and down in various panels to see if I could find the difference, but no luck.
20 November 2014 08:41
On the left is my test model, which looks as I want. On the right is the exported result. I'm hoping the appearance of the export will better explain what my problem is, and hopefully indicate what setting I've missed or done wrong.

20 November 2014 10:22
Oh I think I see the problem. The resolution of your image is NPOT - not power of two. Press f12 in your browser and choose console - there must be warning like "Using NPOT textures!" I mean, WebGL likely understands pictures like 512x512, 128x256 etc. So try to scale your pic to 512x512, for exapmle, and let's see what'll happen
20 November 2014 10:38
After some tinkering, I realized the same thing. Didn't know WebGL was so particular. Thanks much!
20 November 2014 10:56
Ответ на сообщение пользователя Rollo-s_Son
After some tinkering, I realized the same thing. Didn't know WebGL was so particular. Thanks much!

Yep WebGL does not allow tiling with NPOT textures

"But, if you must have a non power-of-two (NPOT) texture, WebGL does include limited native support. NPOT textures are mostly useful if your texture dimensions must be the same resolution as something else, such as your monitor resolution, or if the above suggestions are just not worth the hassle. The catch: these textures cannot be used with mipmapping and they must not "repeat" (tile or wrap)."

link
The Founder | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
06 October 2016 20:25
Just add node mapping after UV, it will be automatically tiled.

And what if we don't know exactly UV tiling multiplier?
In Blender we have "UV project modifier" which automaticaly project UVMap (tile it), but doing it for every node texture (diffuse,normal,detail) is bit boring.
In 3DS Max there is a modifier "Map Scaler" which automatically extend (tile) UV texture if source object geometry is changed. (So i don't need recalculate multiplier every time, when my object is changed).
Of course i'm talking about simple (2D) shapes of tiling floor texture for example.
07 October 2016 11:10
And what if we don't know exactly UV tiling multiplier?
In Blender we have "UV project modifier" which automaticaly project UVMap (tile it), but doing it for every node texture (diffuse,normal,detail) is bit boring.
In 3DS Max there is a modifier "Map Scaler" which automatically extend (tile) UV texture if source object geometry is changed. (So i don't need recalculate multiplier every time, when my object is changed).
You can use Global output from Geometry node instead of UVMap or mix them with Vector Math node, so your UVMap will depend on global scaling.
Blend4web and that kind of thing.
12 October 2016 12:49
You can use Global output from Geometry node instead of UVMap or mix them with Vector Math node, so your UVMap will depend on global scaling.

As far as i understand, it is correct for "single texture map", but not work for UV. My efforts ere not successful.
Look to the attached picture.

Please register or log in to leave a reply.