Blog

Blend4Web 16.09 Released

2016-09-29

We are glad to present a new release of Blend4Web - an open source platform for creating interactive 3D web experiences. Among the improvements you will find optimizations on the GPU side, support for Blender 2.78 features, new material library entries and various changes made for consistency with Blender.

Coordinate System

Here is a very important change for application developers: we liquidated discrepancies between coordinate systems of Blend4Web (which followed the "classic" OpenGL scheme) and Blender (with upward Z axis) - in favor of the latter.

Heads up, this is no longer the case!

The difference originated from the time when Blend4Web just started its development as a pure WebGL library and there was no Blender integration at all. Uncertainty with coordinates caused many troubles for application developers, especially newcomers. We believe that making axes coincide justifies the inconvenience of fixing existing applications to work with the new Blend4Web version. Those applications built with logic nodes instead of the JavaScript API are not affected at all.

Other benefits include the simplification of certain code paths and the corresponding improvements in performance resulting from this simplification.

Blender 2.78 Features

As this article is being written, Blender 2.78 - the next, long-awaited version of this open source 3D package - is about to be released. Our developers played a significant role in the development of new features for the Blender viewport to make work with Blend4Web more convenient for our users. Here we'll mention the most visible, major features of this update.

Environment lighting in Blender 2.77 and 2.78 (Island demo).

First of all, the environment lighting was made visible in the viewport so artists can see actual lighting conditions without leaving Blender.

Next huge thing is that cube maps: a) can be used in node materials, and b) are visible in the viewport too.

Reflections based on cube maps in Blender 2.77 and 2.78.

And, of course, meet the World Space Shading option we first mentioned in the Blend4Web 16.06 LTS release article and which is now available in Blender 2.78. This is a major step towards consistency as the engine itself works in world space as well. Enabling this option is required if you want to see the same results in the viewport as in Blend4Web. This opens the road to eventually supporting some features of Cycles, Blender's ray-tracing engine, in the browser.

This is where you find the Set Recommended Options button. Just click it and you'll be fine...

We have to note a new magic button here which was added under the Render tab, namely, Set Recommended Options, which performs several switches for maximizing consistency between browser rendering and the Blender viewport. Upon clicking this button,

• the above-mentioned World Space Shading is turned on,
  • the material mode switches to GLSL,
  • the viewport shading mode switches to Material and
  • the main camera fit is set to Vertical.

Everything is done at once, you no longer need to search through the UI and switch these options manually!

Last but not least, the normal map node (supported since the previous release) is now correctly performing in the Blender viewport as shown in the screenshot below.

Normal-mapped node materials now look good. Just like in Blend4Web.

Summarizing everything said on new Blender features, we believe this is a huge step forward in the development of our framework. Limitless 3D authoring capabilities of Blender and Internet-friendly experience provided by Blend4Web compose a powerful, integrated solution for authoring interactive 3D Web content.

Material Library

Several new items were added in the PRO-only set of the material library: water with caustics, fur and crocodile leather (no animals were harmed).

GPU Optimizations

Our quest for performance, which started in the previous month, continues. For now we're focusing on the GPU part. Firstly, we now sort mesh vertices in a GPU cache-friendly manner upon export. Then, a number of optimizations in the shader code followed (such as matrix computations converted to vector-based ones, etc).

There is now the possibility to raise the performance of shadows at the expense of quality by reducing the number of shadow map samples used to blur shadows (located under the Render tab). Directives are inserted in the shader code only when they are needed - this reduces the number of shader combinations and the corresponding compile time and leads to faster loading.

Shadow quality settings.

Automatic quality detection can now be performed in applications by specifying the P_AUTO quality profile in JS code so that the app will run in LOW or HIGH quality depending on hardware specs:

m_app.init({
    canvas_container_id: "main_canvas_container",
    callback: init_cb,
    quality: m_cfg.P_AUTO
});

A micro benchmark is run in such a case to determine the relative performance level of users' hardware (seen at the top of the SDK's index). It makes sense to use this parameter in graphics-heavy apps (so we did in the Farm demo).

The PVRTC WebGL extension, found on all generations of the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad devices as well as on PowerVR-based Androids, was leveraged to use texture compression on these systems and thus, to better manage the video memory and also increase performance. Instructions on how to convert and use PVRTC-compressed textures are specified in the User Manual.

Annotations are now hardware-accelerated.

Annotations, informative HTML-based 2D boxes shown near 3D objects, were made faster by utilizing the translate3d CSS property which is hardware-accelerated. When applied to animated objects, they now move much smoother too.

Finally, our artists reworked the most complex materials to use less shader nodes and texture lookups.

As you can see, a lot of effort was put forth towards optimization this month. As a result, we have achieved an impressive 30-40% increase in speed in the Farm, the heaviest of our demos. Now it can even be run on an average mobile device (which pushes us to think about touch-friendly controls for this demo).

On an Android smartphone.

More Features

The Web Player obtained a new social sharing button for Sina Weibo, the popular microblogging service in China. Also, you can now configure the order and composition of the set of these buttons shown in the UI of the Web Player by using the corresponding URL attribute (or disable them entirely). The code letters for social networks are easy to remember: f for Facebook, v for VK, t for Twitter, w for Weibo and g for Google+.

看看这些用 Blend4Web 所制作的惊人 3D 图形!

In 16.06 the check modules command was added to the Project Manager for checking the integrity of programmed applications. It is very helpful when you update to new Blend4Web versions as it can detect missing or unnecessary engine modules. What is even more exciting, now you can automatically fix all discovered problems in the code by linking/removing JavaScript files to your app's HTML (just click the Update Modules button)!

The check modules command is listed number two.

We also rearranged all the panels under the Render tab by taking into account their type and popularity among users to make the UI a bit more intuitive.

In Closing

We recommend to use Blender 2.78 with this version of Blend4Web, although the older 2.76 and 2.77 versions will work as well. The full list of changes and bug fixes can be seen in the release notes. We would be glad to receive any feedback on how this goes for you!

Also, please consider participating in the creation of what is expected to become a large garage of open source retro car models. Our new $1000-pool contest officially starts in just a few days!

Comments
30 sep. 2016 19:40
We updated the builds to 16.09.1. This minor update fixes the issue with 8 bit character encoding affecting some of our Windows users (namely crashes during HTML export).
05 oct. 2016 17:00
Hi Alexander!
Is there a chance that only the material water with caustics should be granted soon also for Blend4Web Community Edition? I really need of that special effect for my under construction project!
05 oct. 2016 18:22
We are working hard on this material library, spending decent amount of time to make it look really good, that's why it is only in PRO version.

But hopefully I can help you with this: here is an example of the simple water, also look here to find documentation about Special Water option. You also can try to combine two different meshes/materials!

That's all that I can say
05 oct. 2016 20:12
Reply to post of user Pavel Kotov
We are working hard on this material library, spending decent amount of time to make it look really good, that's why it is only in PRO version.

But hopefully I can help you with this: here is an example of the simple water, also look here to find documentation about Special Water option. You also can try to combine two different meshes/materials!

That's all that I can say

Thank You, Pavel.
Your reasons for PRO version are valid. I will use the "simple water" solution. Maybe in the future I value the PRO purchase, but at this early learning phase is not profitable for me, at least until I gain a lot of familiarity with much of the Blend4Web "tools".

Please, I have some questions to ask yourself:

1) The option to activate the volumetric waves are present in the Community Edition?

2) The online documentation mentions Rich Material Library of PRO or are present only if you have the Pro version?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
06 oct. 2016 12:17
If I understood you correctly, this post contains an example of using procedural water. You'll just need to download the attachment :)

And yes, PRO version just contains some of our biggest projects and material library
09 oct. 2016 16:34
If I understood you correctly, this post contains an example of using procedural water. You'll just need to download the attachment :)

And yes, PRO version just contains some of our biggest projects and material library

Thank You for the attachment, Pavel. I just need an effect that mimics water flowing in a circuitous channel. I'll have to work a little to create it properly Similar to that present in Epic Citadel
15 oct. 2016 15:40
This is amazing I really like this SDK i'm going thorough the user manual, and its very well explain.I'm down to get the PRO version very soon..
03 may. 2023 14:20
Blend4Web, a powerful web-based framework for creating interactive 3D content, has announced the release of version 16.09. This latest update comes packed with new features, improvements, and bug fixes, making it easier than ever before to create stunning 3D visualizations and virtual experiences. From enhanced support for mobile devices to improved rendering capabilities, Blend4Web 16.09 is sure to be a hit among developers and designers alike. Whether you're building a virtual showroom for a citrus park bonita springs company or creating a game with lifelike graphics, Blend4Web is the perfect tool for bringing your ideas to life.
28 aug. 2023 16:03
Blend4Web 16.09 release is truly impressive! The new features and enhancements are a testament to the dedication of the development team. The integration of bar vanity light is a game-changer, offering dynamic lighting possibilities for realistic scenes. This version further solidifies Blend4Web's position as a top-tier tool for web-based 3D content creation. Kudos to the team for consistently pushing the boundaries and delivering such an outstanding update. Excited to see what creative opportunities this release will unlock!
30 aug. 2023 12:59
At Dimension Crafters, we elevate brand identities through custom 3D logos that transcend flat design. Our skilled team blends creativity and technical expertise to craft logos that pop off the screen, adding depth and visual intrigue. From intricate textures to dynamic perspectives, our custom 3D logos breathe life into your brand's visual representation.
Please register or log in to leave a reply.